• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

speaking

FL students in Algeria and especially those of English find it difficult to express themselves in English.Me as a teacher considers the speaking skill of a great importance for these students and would like to know some tips about how I can encourage my own students to speak inside and outside the classroom.Thanks

Re: speaking

Quote Originally Posted by nedira View Post
    FL students in Algeria and especially those of English find it difficult to express themselves in English.Me as a teacher considers the speaking skill of a great importance for these students and would like to know some tips about how I can encourage my own students to speak inside and outside the classroom.Thanks
    This is something I might do. It's worth a try.

Start by raising their awareness of English as an international language. Tell them that the more proficient their English is, the more people they can talk to from all over the world.

Find out what they are interested in. Each student should do a presentation in English on something that they are interested in. The presentation should be no more than two minutes.

After the presentations are finished, conduct interviews in groups. In each group the students interview each other. They ask questions about each student's interest one at a time.

Walk around the classroom and take note of errors. When the activity is finished, talk about the errors and show the corrections on the board. Of course, there's no need to identify anyone who made an error. Just show them the correct way, and answer their questions.