Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 91
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    a problem

    1. In those ten years, i had do lots of things.
    2. Of those ten years, i had do lots of things.

    Which is correct or both are correct?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: a problem

    Quote Originally Posted by kelvin123 View Post
    1. In those ten years, i had do lots of things.
    2. Of those ten years, i had do lots of things.

    Which is correct or both are correct?
    In those ten years, I had to do a lot of things. ('lots of things' is also OK, but more colloquial).

    In those ten years, I did a lot of things.
    During those ten years, I did a lot of things.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: a problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    In those ten years, I had to do a lot of things. ('lots of things' is also OK, but more colloquial).

    In those ten years, I did a lot of things.
    During those ten years, I did a lot of things.
    I agree. I think also; "In those ten years, I had done a lot of/lots of things" might be what the questioner was looking for.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 91
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: a problem

    thanks



    1. In those ten years, i did lots of things.
    2. Of those ten years, i did lots of things.

    Are thet both correct? (I would like to focus on "in" and "of" )

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: a problem

    Quote Originally Posted by kelvin123 View Post
    thanks



    1. In those ten years, i did lots of things.
    2. Of those ten years, i did lots of things.

    Are thet both correct? (I would like to focus on "in" and "of" )
    No. Only "in" or "during" are correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 91
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: a problem

    when I look up the dictionary,I find this sentence "Of those ten years, i did lots of things."

    why "Of those ten years, i did lots of things." is incorrect?

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: a problem

    Quote Originally Posted by kelvin123 View Post
    when I look up the dictionary,I find this sentence "Of those ten years, i did lots of things."

    why "Of those ten years, i did lots of things." is incorrect?
    OK, which dictionary did you look up?

    If you absolutely have to use "Of those ten years" you can, like this:
    Of those ten years, I only really enjoyed seven". (7 of those 10 years)
    Of those ten years, I spent most as an alcoholic. (I spent most of those 10 years ...)

    You cannot say "I did lots of things of those ten years". It doesn't make sense.

Similar Threads

  1. Four tenses problem
    By ben9108 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 04:49
  2. I'm facing a confusing problem with my English
    By bander in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2007, 20:10
  3. No Problem / No Problems
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2004, 12:05
  4. Problem / Uncountable
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2004, 13:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •