1. lmpc

Need Help

Hi-

I am working on a grammar worksheet/packet (I completed most of it) and wow, it has been a long time since I studied grammar! I am having a hard time with the text below. Any and all (accurate) help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

1.1 Identify the underlined and numbered parts of speech from the following text.
    Example: 1. I = subject pronoun

I (1) thought no more of Jean Charvin, but (2) by chance I met (3) him (4) next day on the road. He was (5) coming towards me. He carried a (6) black dispatch-case under (7) his (8) arm, and except for the (9) pink and white stripes (10) of his uniform and the ugly round straw that concealed his handsome (11) head of hair, you might (12) have taken him for a young lawyer on his way to court.

1.2 Name the underlined and numbered tenses (or verb phrases) in the following text and comment on the meaning.

Example:
    was waiting = past progressive (or continuous) used to talk about an activity in progress that was interrupted

As I was waiting (1) in line at the immigration counter, I became (2) aware of the fact that I was surrounded by people of my own nationality once again. I had been (3) away for almost five years and I was no longer used to their accents and style of dressing. Finally, my passport was stamped (4) by a man who welcomed me back home and I exited into the arrival lounge of the airport. My parents were there to greet me.
    You havent changed (5) at all, said my mother as she hugged me. My father avoided saying anything personal.
    Not a very good welcome home, Im afraid. Its raining (6) outside, he said. I suddenly felt that coming home was a big mistake.

1.3. When studying verb phrases with foreign learners, it is often necessary to analyze the form of each verb phrase, that is, to break it down into its component parts. If we take the first example from the text above, we can analyze the form in the following way:

I was waiting in line...

past continuous (or progressive) =

subject + was / were + verb + -ing (or present participle)

Now identify the name of the following underlined verb phrases (or tenses) and analyse their form in a way that is similar to the above example.

7. Ive been living here for more than ten years.

8. Ill be leaving here on Friday.

9. Toyota cars are made in Japan.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by lmpc View Post
    Hi-

I am working on a grammar worksheet/packet (I completed most of it) and wow, it has been a long time since I studied grammar! I am having a hard time with the text below. Any and all (accurate) help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

1.1 Identify the underlined and numbered parts of speech from the following text.
    Example: 1. I = subject pronoun

I (1) thought no more of Jean Charvin, but (2) by chance I met (3) him (4) next day on the road. He was (5) coming towards me. He carried a (6) black dispatch-case under (7) his (8) arm, and except for the (9) pink and white stripes (10) of his uniform and the ugly round straw that concealed his handsome (11) head of hair, you might (12) have taken him for a young lawyer on his way to court.

1. subject pronoun
    2. conjunction
    3. past verb
    4. object pronoun
    5. past continuous
    6. indefinite article
    7. preposition
    8. possessive pronoun
    9. definite article
    10. plural noun
    11. adjective
    12. modal (auxiliary verb) / modal perfect tense

1.2 Name the underlined and numbered tenses (or verb phrases) in the following text and comment on the meaning.

Example:
    was waiting = past progressive (or continuous) used to talk about an activity in progress that was interrupted

As I was waiting (1) in line at the immigration counter, I became (2) aware of the fact that I was surrounded by people of my own nationality once again. I had been (3) away for almost five years and I was no longer used to their accents and style of dressing. Finally, my passport was stamped (4) by a man who welcomed me back home and I exited into the arrival lounge of the airport. My parents were there to greet me.
    You havent changed (5) at all, said my mother as she hugged me. My father avoided saying anything personal.
    Not a very good welcome home, Im afraid. Its raining (6) outside, he said. I suddenly felt that coming home was a big mistake.

1. past continuous
    2. simple past
    3. past perfect
    4. past passive
    5. present perfect
    6. present continuous

1.3. When studying verb phrases with foreign learners, it is often necessary to analyze the form of each verb phrase, that is, to break it down into its component parts. If we take the first example from the text above, we can analyze the form in the following way:

I was waiting in line...

past continuous (or progressive) =

subject + was / were + verb + -ing (or present participle)

Now identify the name of the following underlined verb phrases (or tenses) and analyse their form in a way that is similar to the above example.

7. Ive been living here for more than ten years. present perfect continuous

8. Ill be leaving here on Friday. future continuous

9. Toyota cars are made in Japan. present passive
    I hope I helped you