1. Unregistered

types of identities

Dear teachers,

I'm writing an essay, but I'm stuck on coming up with names for types of identity for a person who's integrating/assimilating into a different culture/country. I'm not sure what words to use to name his/her identities as an individual before and after the assimilation. Ethnic identity vs. mainstream identity? private vs. public? primary vs. secondary? They have to imply a transformation from one to the other. Could somebody help me? Thank you.
    a

Re: types of identities

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Dear teachers,

I'm writing an essay, but I'm stuck on coming up with names for types of identity for a person who's integrating/assimilating into a different culture/country. I'm not sure what words to use to name his/her identities as an individual before and after the assimilation. Ethnic identity vs. mainstream identity? private vs. public? primary vs. secondary? They have to imply a transformation from one to the other. Could somebody help me? Thank you.
    a
    You might say that she was "at home" or " in familiar surroundings" in her old country; and she's "a newcomer, or outsider" in her new home.