• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

are these sentence correct

1) Student will not lose out/miss out much on if miss the first week of class because teacher don't teach much in the first week.

2) The flight attendant missed giving me my dinner.

Re: are these sentence correct

1) Student will not lose out/miss out much on if miss the first week of class because teacher don't teach much in the first week.

> "THE student. . ." or "A student . . . " but not just "Student" in the singular. ("Students...." in the plural does not need an article.)

> The same for "teacher" -- "THE teacher" or "A teacher" in the singular, or "teachers" in the plural

> "Lose much" or "miss much" or "miss out on much"
    - "On" can follow "miss out" but it cannot follow "lose"
    - If "on" is used, it has to immediately follow "miss out" because "miss out on" is a single phrase. " . . .miss out much on . . ." is not comprehensible.

> You can't omit a subject in "if miss the first week." It must say "if YOU miss the first week" or "If HE misses the first week" or "if THEY miss the first week"

> "teacher don't" is completely unacceptable. If the subject is the third person singular ("teacher"), then the verb must be "doesn't"
    - If the subject is "teachers" in the plural, then the verb "don't" is correct.

~ Students will not miss much if they miss the first week of class because teachers don't teach much the first week.
    ~ A student will not lose much if he misses the first week of class because the teacher doesn't teach much the first week.
    ~ Students won't miss out on much by missing the first week of class because teachers don't teach much in the first week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) The flight attendant missed giving me my dinner.

This is all right. If you said this in conversation, everyone would understand you perfectly. But it is not really the best way to express the meaning.

"Missed" in this case means "skipped over," so it is the passenger who was missed. The way the sentence is written almost forces "missed" into the meaning of "not hitting her target" -- so it suggests that she spilled the dinner on you: "The flight attendant missed (when) giving me dinner -- and it landed on my shirt!"

On the other hand, a reasonable interpretation of the sentence as written is that the flight attendant was perfect in all her duties but this one, that she did everything right but skipped over just one thing:
    "She gave me a pillow, she gave me a headset, she gave me a magazine -- but she missed giving me my dinner."

"The flight attendant missed me (skipped me) when she gave out the dinners."
    "The flight attendant omitted to give me my dinner."
    "The flight attendant didn't give me my dinner."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: are these sentence correct

thank for your help.