• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Post tense

Dear teacher,

Can you please correct the following sentences for me? I feel confused about time and tense.

---Yesterday Jenny told me that she was flying to New York tomorrow morning when I met her. I see Jenny with a little surprise this afternoon, so I say to her, "I thought you were leaving this morning"

Re: tense

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Dear teacher,

Can you please correct the following sentences for me? I feel confused about time and tense.

---Yesterday Jenny told me that she was flying to New York tomorrow morning when I met her. I see Jenny with a little surprise this afternoon, so I say to her, "I thought you were leaving this morning"
    When I met Jenny yesterday, she told me she was flying to New York tomorrow (better: "the next day"). I saw Jenny with a little surprise this afternoon (better: I was a little surprised to see her this afternoon), so I said to her, "I thought you were leaving this morning."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question Re: tense

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    When I met Jenny yesterday, she told me she was flying to New York tomorrow (better: "the next day"). I saw Jenny with a little surprise this afternoon (better: I was a little surprised to see her this afternoon), so I said to her, "I thought you were leaving this morning."
    Dear Ann,
    'I thought you were leaving this morning', I still feel a little bit strange about this sentence. Is it correct grammaticaly? I mean, for example, today is 13th September, and suppose now it is in the afternoon. I belived that Jenny had left for New York this morning, but now I find that she didn't. ( I'm afraid the above statements also need your correction, please do! for example, here I'm not sure if I should use '...she didn't' or '...she had not'.) In this situation, to say 'I thought you were leaving this morning' is correct?

Thanks in advance!