• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Present Perfect vs Past Simple

I've got a letter in which I have to put the Present Perfect or the Past Simple tense:

I'm writing to tell you all the lastest family news. Aunt Daisy (1) had a baby girl a week ago. Uncle Nick is very pleased. They (2) ........ (name) the baby Louise. Uncle Bruce (3) ........... (buy) a new car and he (4) ............. (give) the old one to Aunt Celia. Do you remember my cousin Rupert? Well, he (5) moved to Germany last month. He (6) ........... (take) his wife and children with him. Grandpa (7) took Alex on a fishing trip last weekend. Unfortunately, they (8) didn't catch any fish!

Grandma (9) has recently redecorated the living room. She (10) ............ (paint) the walls pink and (11) ............. (buy) a new carpet to match. It looks lovely.

That's all for now. Take care and write soon with your news.

I have already filled the gaps I knew the answer to.

Please give your answer with the explanation why there must be the particular tense.

This is what I think:

1) "had" because it was "a week ago"

2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago" OR "have named" because we know that they are "the lastest family news"

3) "has bought" because we want to emphasize the event (news) OR "bought" because it was in the past

4) "gave" because we are not interested in what happened to the old car

5) "moved" because it was "last month"

6) "took" because we know that it was "last month" OR "has taken" because they most probably are still there

7) "took" because it was "last weekend"

8) "didn't catch" because it is a finished event

9) "has recently redecorated" because it was "recently"

10) "has painted" > recently

11) "bought" because it is a continuation of the Present Perfect sentence OR "has bought"
    Last edited by pedro8686; 13-Sep-2009 at 02:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Present Perfect vs Past Simple

Have somebody got any ideas?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Present Perfect vs Past Simple

Quote Originally Posted by pedro8686 View Post
    I've got a letter in which I have to put the Present Perfect or the Past Simple tense:

I'm writing to tell you all the lastest family news. Aunt Daisy (1) had a baby girl a week ago. Uncle Nick is very pleased. They (2) ........ (name) the baby Louise. Uncle Bruce (3) ........... (buy) a new car and he (4) ............. (give) the old one to Aunt Celia. Do you remember my cousin Rupert? Well, he (5) moved to Germany last month. He (6) ........... (take) his wife and children with him. Grandpa (7) took Alex on a fishing trip last weekend. Unfortunately, they (8) didn't catch any fish!

Grandma (9) has recently redecorated the living room. She (10) ............ (paint) the walls pink and (11) ............. (buy) a new carpet to match. It looks lovely.

That's all for now. Take care and write soon with your news.

I have already filled the gaps I knew the answer to.

Please give your answer with the explanation why there must be the particular tense.

This is what I think:

1) "had" because it was "a week ago" Yes

2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago" OR "have named" because we know that they are "the lastest family news"
    Either is correct

3) "has bought" because we want to emphasize the event (news) OR "bought" because it was in the past
    Either is correct
    4) "gave" because we are not interested in what happened to the old car
    Yes
    5) "moved" because it was "last month"
    Yes
    6) "took" because we know that it was "last month" OR "has taken" because they most probably are still there
    Either is correct
    7) "took" because it was "last weekend"
    Yes
    8) "didn't catch" because it is a finished event
    Yes
    9) "has recently redecorated" because it was "recently"
    Not necessarily. "She recently decorated it" is correct too.
    "Recently" can be used with either tense.

10) "has painted" > recently
    No, painted, I would say. But has painted is not wrong.
    11) "bought" because it is a continuation of the Present Perfect sentence OR "has bought"
    I'd say bought.
    Grandma has recently redecorated the living room. She painted the walls pink and bought a new carpet to match.
    Grandma recently redecorated the living room. She has painted the walls pink and has bought a new carpet to match.

There is no right and wrong with some of these answers. About grandma, I would use one tense for the start and the other for the two following verbs.
    It's a matter of style. Grammatically, all your answers are correct. You'll have to choose the version you think your teacher wants.

The only mistake you've made is assuming that 'recently' has to go with present perfect.