• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

should

I would like to know the difference between "should(1)" and "should(2)".
    1. You should have called me.
    2. He should have been home by now.

Re: should

These two shoulds actually function in a very similar manner in the sense that in both cases something has not happened that was expected to happen.

In "You should have called me," the speaker either expected the listener to call him, or something would have been better in some way if the listener had called...but he didn't.

In "He should have been home by now," the speaker is stating that someone was expected to come home before the moment of speaking...but he didn't.

About the only difference I see here is that in the first sentence, although the phone call was never made, the speaker is not waiting for it. The speaker knows the phone call will not be made. Whatever suitable time frame that may have existed for the call has passed.

In the second sentence, however, the speaker is still waiting for the person's arrival. The speaker is thinking, "He's late. He may be home any moment...but he is not home yet. Why isn't he home yet?"

Hope this helps.

Greg

Re: should

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post

1. You should have called me. - It was not smart that you didn't call me. Calling me was the right thing to do, but you didn't do it. This was not the right decision.

2. He should have been home by now. - I expected him to be here now, and I can't understand why he is not here now. I have, or had, reason to believe that he was going to be here now or earlier.

Sentence number one deals with obligation, what's advisable, and what people expect from us in certain situations.

Sentence number two deals with what someone understands or expects to be true or false on the basis of one's knowledge, information, or experience.