• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

in

Is the second "in" necessary?

In football, this led to a considerable increase in salaries and in the movement of players between the Member States.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: in

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post

In football, this led to a considerable increase in salaries and in the movement of players between the Member States.

Thanks.
    I guess your sentence is grammatically correct the way it is. However, I would rather write instead:
    "In football, this led to a considerable increase in salaries and movement of players between the Member States."
    If you write just without the "in", like:
    "In football, this led to a considerable increase in salaries and the movement of players between the Member States" the sentence seems to be wrong. If you take out the in you should take out the following the as well.

By the way, are you sure about the this? Why not that :
    "In football, that led to a considerable increase in salaries and movement of players between the Member States."
    I am asking not because I think your sentence is wrong, but because I keep having doubts about that.

Finally, maybe you could find a better expression for movement of players, something like player exchanges. That is just a suggestion, your sentence looks fine.

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

What about

In football, that led to a considerable increase both in salaries and players exchange/migration rate between the Member States.

?

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thanks.
    I would always add this second 'in'.
    It sounds strange without it. Others might disagree.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    I guess your sentence is grammatically correct the way it is. However, I would rather write instead:
    "In football, this led to a considerable increase in salaries and movement of players between the Member States."
    That's a good point. You could write that.
    No, "this" is correct and "movement of players" is normal.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

I think the sentence would be incorrect if I left out "the." This becomes clear if you consider the sentence without "salaries."

In football, this lead to an increase in movement of players between the Member States.

The sentence doesn't sound right, at least to me, without "the" before "movement."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think the sentence would be incorrect if I left out "the." This becomes clear if you consider the sentence without "salaries."

In football, this lead to an increase in movement of players between the Member States.

The sentence doesn't sound right, at least to me, without "the" before "movement."
    Sure, I agree, in the right above sentence (without "in salaries and") the definite article "the" before "movement" seems to be mandatory. However I guess that when you write
    it seems that the now missing second "in" becomes somehow implied altogether with "the", that is "in the" implied. I just feel it really sounds correct. Maybe Raymott could explain why.
    Last edited by Abstract Idea; 12-Sep-2009 at 23:32.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Sure, I agree, in the right above sentence (without "in salaries and") the definite article "the" before "movement" seems to be mandatory. However I guess that when you write
    it seems that the now missing second "in" becomes somehow implied altogether with "the", that is "in the" implied. I just feel it really sounds correct. Maybe Raymott could explain why.
    It is purely a matter of style.
    "... an increase in movement of players" sounds quite alright to me.
    In fact, any of the forms so far postulated would be correct English, including the original "an increase in salaries and the movement of players" but, as I say, I wouldn't write it that way.