Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Occitan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
in speaking it confuses me where to put the 'also' like if we say "i also will do that" or "i will also do that" what will be the difference in meaning. Thanks.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
in speaking it confuses me where to put the 'also' like if we say "i also will do that" or "i will also do that" what will be the difference in meaning. Thanks.

The word "also" is an adverb, and adverb placement is often flexible, especially in spoken language.

1. I'll do that also.
  2. I'll also do that.
  3. Also, I'll do that. - least typical placement of "also" of the three
All three are correct.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The two sentences can each have two different meanings. (both can have the same two meanings)
So depending on what the intended meaning is, one of the sentences may be preferred.

A...I will write them a letter.
B...I also will do that. (means that A and B will write letters)

B...I think you should phone them too.
A...Okay, I will also do that. (means that A will write a letter and phone)

In the first conversation, "also" refers to "I" and directly follows "I".
In the second conversation, "also" refers to "do that" and is directly in front of "do that".

There is another possibility, which is 'I will do that also.', (A will write and phone...most suited for the second conversation)

In oral conversation, you can stress "I" or "do that" to help the listener know what "also" refers to. Of course, context will do that too.

Last edited:

hznaeem

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Occitan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for such a nice detailed reply, it helped me.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You're welcome.

hznaeem

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Occitan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
thanks, but can we swipe 'also' with 'too'. Like in your own sentence you wrote "Of course, context will do that too". can we say "Of course, context also, will do that" .
i would also like to learn that whether it is flexible to swipe 'also', 'too' and 'as well' with each other. In some cases it's looking wrong like we say "i love you too" but i think we can't say "i also love you".
you said in speaking we can stress 'i' or 'do that' to know the listner what we need to say, so by just stressing can we place also anywhere in the sentence and it wouldn't affect the grammer of sentence, (I am more interested in grammer rather than in slang or spoken english), looking forward for your kind feedback.
Thanks.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
thanks, but can we replace 'also' with 'too'. Like in your own sentence you wrote "Of course, context will do that too". can we say "Of course, context also, will do that ". yes

i would also like to learn that whether it is flexible to replace 'also', 'too' and 'as well' with each other. In some cases it's looking wrong like we say "i love you too" but i think we can't say "i also love you". You can say that.
you said in speaking we can stress 'i' or 'do that' to know the listner what we need to say, so by just stressing can we place also anywhere in the sentence and it wouldn't affect the grammer of sentence, Generally yes, the position of "also" is quite flexible.

(I am more interested in grammer rather than in slang or spoken english), looking forward for your kind feedback.
Thanks.

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic

"Also" is like "only" in that it modifies the word it is closest to.

"I also will do that" means that you will join the others in doing that.

"I will also do that" means that there is another thing you will do.

In spoken English especially, and often in writing as well, this modifier is misplaced. The meaning is normally disambiguated by the context and the speaker's voice inflection.

For example, the word "too" (for "also") is almost always placed at the end of both of the sentences you cited:

"I'll do that too" is how both of those ideas are expressed.

Yet the population is not drifting around in a fog of mutual incomprehension, so something must be allowing for this theoretically incorrect usage.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The two sentences can each have two different meanings. (both can have the same two meanings)
So depending on what the intended meaning is, one of the sentences may be preferred.
"also", "too" and "as well" have this same meaning, but the grammar is not always the same; so you can't always replace one with the others.
"as well" is used less often than "too" and "also".
B...I (also) (too) will do that. :tick: "as well" would not be wrong here, but is not commonly used in a situation like this.

(means that A and B will write letters)

B...I think you should phone them too.
A...Okay, I will also do that.
Okay, I will (too)(as well) do that. :cross:
Okay, I will do that (too)(as well). :tick:

(means that A will write a letter and phone)

hznaeem

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Occitan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
Thanks for such a detailed reply.

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
thanks, but can we swipe 'also' with 'too'. Like in your own sentence you wrote "Of course, context will do that too". can we say "Of course, context also, will do that" .
i would also like to learn that whether it is flexible to swipe 'also', 'too' and 'as well' with each other. In some cases it's looking wrong like we say "i love you too" but i think we can't say "i also love you".
you said in speaking we can stress 'i' or 'do that' to know the listner what we need to say, so by just stressing can we place also anywhere in the sentence and it wouldn't affect the grammer of sentence, (I am more interested in grammer rather than in slang or spoken english), looking forward for your kind feedback.
Thanks.

In the sentence
SHE SAID SHE LOVES HIM
there are six locations for "only" (and a few for "also") and each location varies the meaning because these words modify the word they are nearest to.

Only she said she loves him
- she is the only one who said this

She only said she loves him
- she is the only one who said so
- she only SAID it, but did not believe it
(Which meaning depends on which word "only" is modifying)
- what she did was trivial -- only a speech act
(in spoken English, it would be rare to misunderstand the speaker's meaning)

She said only she loves him
- she claimed to be the sole person who loves him
(But: She said only that she loved him = she said no more than one thing -- that she loved him, and did not add anything else)

She said she only loves him
- but does not "like" him
- This could also be taken to mean "she said she was the sole person to love him"

She said she loves only him
- she said he was the only one she loves

She said she loves him ONLY

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
a good example ANN... just to add that

'She only said she loves him.' also means that's all she said.

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
a good example ANN... just to add that

'She only said she loves him.' also means that's all she said.

Good catch! :up:

Even without context, I think almost any of these would be understood by any number of people in just the same way -- all depending on inflection.

Possibly some of these could have their meanings reversed by a sarcastic tone of voice or some other signal.

hznaeem

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Occitan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
In the sentence
SHE SAID SHE LOVES HIM
there are six locations for "only" (and a few for "also") and each location varies the meaning because these words modify the word they are nearest to.

Only she said she loves him
- she is the only one who said this

She only said she loves him
- she is the only one who said so
- she only SAID it, but did not believe it
(Which meaning depends on which word "only" is modifying)
- what she did was trivial -- only a speech act
(in spoken English, it would be rare to misunderstand the speaker's meaning)

She said only she loves him
- she claimed to be the sole person who loves him
(But: She said only that she loved him = she said no more than one thing -- that she loved him, and did not add anything else)

She said she only loves him
- but does not "like" him
- This could also be taken to mean "she said she was the sole person to love him"

She said she loves only him

She said she loves him ONLY
what a great explanation, really appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.