etc. or etc?

Hello

Does one use a full stop after 'etc' these days? And, in a similar vein, after 'eg', 'Mr' and so on?

Thanks

Re: etc. or etc?

The abbreviation etc. requires one period at the end. The abbreviation e.g. requires two periods, one after each letter. This has not changed to the best of my knowledge, and so I personally would consider writing them otherwise as incorrect, or at best nonstandard.

The abbreviation Mr. traditionally required a period, but it is becoming increasingly common, even in the most respected publications, to see it printed sans period.

When in doubt, check the style manual of your choice. Mine is The Chicago Manual of Style.

Greg

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I'm not so sure. The Italians invented our punctuation, and their convention is this: for shortened words, end with a period -- except when the first and last letters are included -- there we do not use the period, but can or should superscript the final letters: Mr, Dr, Messrs, Rev., Revd, etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by dragn View Post
    The abbreviation etc. requires one period at the end.
    What if the 'etc' comes at the end of a sentence? Are two periods required:
    E.g.: They love playing games like chess, checker, cards, etc.. That seems to be such a waste of time.
    And when using ellipsis, should one use four dots?
    E.g.: Examples of common nouns are 'car', 'computer', 'pencil', etc.... These should never be capitalized in the middle of a sentence.

Or after the abbreviation etc should one never use ellipsis?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    E.g.: They love playing games like chess, checker, cards, etc.. That seems to be such a waste of time.
    And when using ellipsis, should one use four dots?
    E.g.: Examples of common nouns are 'car', 'computer', 'pencil', etc.... These should never be capitalized in the middle of a sentence.

Or after the abbreviation etc should one never use ellipsis?
    The abbreviation etc. is two words, et caetera or & c. One period only for a full stop. I would guess you can use three more if you want an ellipsis, but the meaning of &c. itself should mean an ellipsis is not necessary, because both imply further possible items.

Konungursvia is right. The same applies to any abbreviation that ends with a period, not just etc. Never add another period to end the sentence. The one period pulls double duty: it serves to end the abbreviation at the end of the sentence and to end the sentence itself.

Greg

P.S. I also agree with the idea of not using an ellipsis following the abbreviation etc. It seems redundant and a bit sloppy...and yes, I've done it myself, thanks for asking.