• Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

• Post Thanks / Like

"respect"

I have respect for my parents.
    I have respect to my parents.

I show respect for my parents.
    I show respect to my parents.

Are they correct grammatically and have the same meaning (using for and to)?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "respect"

I have respect for my parents.
    I have respect to my parents.

I show respect for my parents.
    I show respect to my parents.

Are they correct grammatically and have the same meaning (using for and to)?
    First of all, you have respect for someone; you show respect to or for someone (I have heard both). You cannot have respect to someone.

However, the meanings of have and show here are not the same.

If you have respect for someone, this is a state or a condition; it refers to how you feel about that person. You admire and look up to them; you hold them in high regard; you value their opinion and desire their approval. It is a condition, not an action.

If you show respect to or for someone, this is an action. It refers to something you do.You perform some act that demonstrates the fact that you respect them. It could be a thousand different things. You defer to them in some situation. You obey them without question. You follow their sage advice. In the military, maybe you stand at attention when they enter the room. You speak to them in a respectful tone. You say "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing them, and so on. It is an action, not a condition.

Hope this is clear.

Greg
    Last edited by dragn; 13-Sep-2009 at 10:28.