The study reveals or revealed?

Hi,

I am writing a research essay and am confused as to whether I should use:
    "The study revealed ...." OR
    "The study reveals ...."

The study is from a journal article in 2001.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: The study reveals or revealed?

Quote Originally Posted by bowsnhearts View Post
    Hi,

I am writing a research essay and am confused as to whether I should use:
    "The study revealed ...." OR
    "The study reveals ...."

The study is from a journal article in 2001.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Here is an extract taken from a website on use of apprropriate tense in writing research paper:
    When you're working on research papers or reports, in whatever
    disciplines, follow these principles gleaned from the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association and from a number of other style manuals.
    1. For a "review of literature," a discussion of previous views on the subject, you have two options. The American Political Science Association and others in the social sciences
    suggest the use of present tense, reserving past tense to indicate significant chronological distinctions; e.g., Strauber (1922) thought this process important, but Grey (1988)
    sharply disagrees.
    In contrast, the APA recommends the use of past or present perfect tense, e.g., Mme.
    Curie demonstrated this principle. Researchers have shown this concept valid.
    2. Use past tense to describe experimental procedure--that is, to narrate what you've done to
    learn the things you're writing about; e.g., Participants were required to manipulate three
    different objects. * Erickson interviewed many survivors of the Buffalo Creek flood.
    3. Use present tense to discuss results and to present conclusions-- that is, the general truths
    you've discovered; e.g., Plainly, the first variable exerts a significant effect. These results
    demonstrate clearly . . . .
    And remember, sometimes you may be performing more than one of these tasks, even in
    the same sentence; e.g., This experiment indicated that monkeys love bananas.
    Finally, if you're in doubt about details, consult one of the discipline-specific style manuals
    available on reserve in Burling. Or ask your professor; use specific examples to illustrate your
    questions. And remember, whatever system you use, be consistent in each essay

I hope this will help. In my view, you can use any one: simple past or simple present.

Re: The study reveals or revealed?

Thanks!

I have used "The study revealed..."

My friends have told me to stick to 1 particular tense (either past or present) in the entire essay (as in be consistent).

However, it is extremely hard for me to do so as it is a long research essay and I do need a mixture of tenses. That's what makes it so confusing for me. After staring at pages and pages of essays, I start to get a headache about issues like the above mentioned problem.