• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

neither nor

I would like to know whether "neither" and "nor" are used correctly below.

The Court stated that “events between national teams [...] might fall outside the scope of Community law.” This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it said neither that selection rules for national teams fell outside nor within the scope of EU law.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: neither nor

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    I would like to know whether "neither" and "nor" are used correctly below.

The Court stated that “events between national teams [...] might fall outside the scope of Community law.” This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it said neither that selection rules for national teams fell outside nor within the scope of EU law.

Thanks.
    I think your sentence is correct. But I suggest you analyse also:
    The Court stated that “events between national teams [...] might fall outside the scope of Community law.” This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it said that selection rules for national teams fell neither outside nor within the scope of EU law.

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    I think your sentence is correct. But I suggest you analyse also:
    The Court stated that “events between national teams [...] might fall outside the scope of Community law.” This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it said that selection rules for national teams fell neither outside nor within the scope of EU law.

PS Not a native speaker
    I agree that it needs amendment.
    In the original, the neither ... nor was not referring to parallel concepts.

But in your correction you have rephrased it to make the non-statement say something which it didn't. The statement might not have even mentioned the selection rules. You have it saying that the rules didn't fall in or out of the scope of the law.

How about:
    This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it said neither that selection rules for national teams fell outside the scope of EU law, nor that they fell within it.
    or:
    This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it did not clarify whether the selection rules for national teams fell outside or within the scope of EU law.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I agree that it needs amendment.
    In the original, the neither ... nor was not referring to parallel concepts.

But in your correction you have rephrased it to make the non-statement say something which it didn't. The statement might not have even mentioned the selection rules. You have it saying that the rules didn't fall in or out of the scope of the law.

How about:
    This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it said neither that selection rules for national teams fell outside the scope of EU law, nor that they fell within it.
    or:
    This was, in fact, a nonstatement, for it did not clarify whether the selection rules for national teams fell outside or within the scope of EU law.
    Oops!
    You are absolutely right in this important logical detail Raymott, thanks.