• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

condition as a verb

What recommendations would you give for the use of the word condition as a verb -- in the sense of make something a condition or making something conditional on? I am a freelance writer / editor and never use the verb in this way. However, the editor of a publication I work for (whose native language is not English but has been educated in English-language schools) uses it frequently as below. This does not seem correct to me and I would change it. However, the author of these sentences has the final word.

It expressed support for the French government’s stance to condition a regulatory approach to BPA on scientific data and the evaluations of the relevant authorities.

GM has conditioned the agreement on Opel remaining fully integrated in GM’s global product development organisation

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: condition as a verb

Quote Originally Posted by Quincytree View Post
    What recommendations would you give for the use of the word condition as a verb -- in the sense of make something a condition or making something conditional on? I am a freelance writer / editor and never use the verb in this way. However, the editor of a publication I work for (whose native language is not English but has been educated in English-language schools) uses it frequently as below. This does not seem correct to me and I would change it. However, the author of these sentences has the final word.

It expressed support for the French government’s stance to condition a regulatory approach to BPA on scientific data and the evaluations of the relevant authorities.

GM has conditioned the agreement on Opel remaining fully integrated in GM’s global product development organisation
    I've never heard it before. But there is a trend among some people to 'verb' any noun they like, and this is what your editor is doing. He has either verbed the noun himself, or he's heard it and likes it.
    My advice to learners is to avoid using nouns as verbs until that particular case has become wide-spread and generally accepted.

In any case, I find this use unfortunate. "Condition" is used as a verb already with a different meaning. An air-conditioner conditions the air. A hair conditioner conditions your hair. In these cases, it means "to put into a favourable condition", not "to impose a condition on".