correct usage of "by"

I am not sure if I would have to add the word "BY" for better understanding
    of the sentence.

The sensitivity is improved favoring the field effect instead of the magnetic effect.

or

The sensitivity is improved BY favoring the field effect instead of the magnetic effect.

Re: correct usage of "by"

The sensitivity is improved by favoring the field effect instead of the magnetic effect.

As long as this accurately represents the intended meaning, then yes. I agree the clarity is enhanced by the addition of the word by.

The sensitivity is improved favoring the field effect instead of the magnetic effect.

Without by, I ultimately arrive at the same meaning, but only after pausing for a second to satisfy myself they don't really mean this:

The sensitivity is improved, favoring the field effect instead of the magnetic effect.

Note how a slight pause makes a perfectly good sentence with a completely different meaning. A moment's reflection satisfies me this is not what they mean, so I mentally insert by in there and go on my way. This is what happens sometimes when writing is unnecessarily terse: it slows you down because you spend a lot of time playing "Guess the Missing Word."

Greg