Detroit's car manufacturers

Hello.

Ford Motor: On the Road to Recovery - TIME
    For many years, Ford Motor Co. was considered the sickest of Detroit's car manufacturers. But conventional wisdom was stood on its head last fall when Ford parted company with General Motors Corp. and Chrysler Group LLC by forgoing federal help during the most perilous times for automakers.

Can I say "car manufacturers in Detroit" in place of Detroit's car manufacturers?

Thank you.

Re: Detroit's car manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

Ford Motor: On the Road to Recovery - TIME
    For many years, Ford Motor Co. was considered the sickest of Detroit's car manufacturers. But conventional wisdom was stood on its head last fall when Ford parted company with General Motors Corp. and Chrysler Group LLC by forgoing federal help during the most perilous times for automakers.

Can I say "car manufacturers in Detroit" in place of Detroit's car manufacturers?

Thank you.
    Yes, you can, but then I would add "all the" after "of" - the sickest of all the car manufacturers in Detroit. Or you could say it and write it without "the" - the sickest of all car manufacturer's in Detroit.

Yes, they're all sick. That's why a lot of us have Japanese cars now. I have a Honda.

Last edited by PROESL; 15-Sep-2009 at 14:50.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Yes, you can, but then I would add "all the" after "of" - the sickest of all the car manufacturer's in Detroit. Or you could say it and write it without "the" - the sickest of all car manufacturer's in Detroit.

Yes, they're all sick. That's why a lot of us have Japanese cars now. I have a Honda.

You need to remove an apostrophe. I agree about the Big Three, I have a Honda too. Much more reliable and a nice drive. But I disagree with the idea that we should change it to "all of the car manufacturers in Detroit." The article is clearly referring to the Big Three, almost a collective proper noun, Detroit, Motor City, Motor Town, Motown. I'd keep it "the Detroit car manufacturers" so that the reader doesn't think there are several small ones, or some mixed bag of manufacturers. There are three, and the three are being directly referenced here, in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    You need to remove an apostrophe. I agree about the Big Three, I have a Honda too. Much more reliable and a nice drive. But I disagree with the idea that we should change it to "all of the car manufacturers in Detroit." The article is clearly referring to the Big Three, almost a collective proper noun, Detroit, Motor City, Motor Town, Motown. I'd keep it "the Detroit car manufacturers" so that the reader doesn't think there are several small ones, or some mixed bag of manufacturers. There are three, and the three are being directly referenced here, in my view.
    This phrase doesn't clearly refer to just "the big three". As for the phrase, it could go either way: "of all Detroit's car manufacturer's" or just "of Detroit's car manufacturers".

the sickest of Detroit's car manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    You need to remove an apostrophe.
    Thanks. That's what I get for copy-pasting.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Thanks. That's what I get for copy-pasting.

It happens to me too.