Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Make sure that your mobile phone is off when you are in a hospital, on an airplane, o

Hello.

Make sure that your mobile phone is off when you are in a hospital, on an airplane, or around a priority seat on a train, etc.

Could you proofread this sentence, please?

Thank you.

Re: Make sure that your mobile phone is off when you are in a hospital, on an airplan

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

Make sure that your mobile phone is off when you are in a hospital, on an airplane, or around a priority seat on a train, etc.

Thank you.
    Yes, I could.

Re: Make sure that your mobile phone is off when you are in a hospital, on an airplan

Hello.

Thank you.

It's correct, but I wouldn't use "etcetera". I think it's possible to find a phrase to use as a substitute. Also, I'm not sure about the phrase "around a priority seat on a train". What do you mean by that?

Other than this comment and this question, your sentence is correct.

It's good to see you've got a sense of humor.

"around a priority seat on a train"

Would it be better to say "near a priority seat on a train"?

"around a priority seat on a train"

Would it be better to say "near a priority seat on a train"?

What is a "priority seat"? Is it a seat for someone who is disabled or a seat reserved for an elderly person? I haven't heard "priority seat" before.

Yes, it is.
    What do you call a seat for someone who is disabled or a seat reserved for an elderly person?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Yes, it is.
    What do you call a seat for someone who is disabled or a seat reserved for an elderly person?
    We Canadians are a thousand times smarter than the Americans, even those in New England. I knew what priority seating meant right away! But if your audience is American, you should perhaps consider "cell phone" rather than "mobile phone," or keep "mobile" if your text is for Aussies or Europeans.

Yes, it is.
    That's a good question. I've always thought of them as "reserved". On trains and buses here, I've never seen "priority seat". There's usually a message posted on a sign asking people to give up their seat for anyone in greater need of one, such as disabled people or elderly. If "priority" seat is posted on the signs, then it's not something people usually say. I can't remember exactly what these signs read.

Though I think the word "handicapped" has fallen out of favor, people will, nonetheless, still refer to these seats as "handicapped seats".

USAGE NOTE Although handicapped is widely used in both law and everyday speech to refer to people having physical or mental disabilities, those described by the word tend to prefer the expressions disabled or people with disabilities.

Read more here: http://www.answers.com/handicapped
    Last edited by PROESL; 15-Sep-2009 at 16:09. Reason: typo

Yes, it is.
    Okay, now that that's cleared up, here's how I'd rewrite your sentence.

Make sure that your mobile phone is off when you are in a hospital, on an airplane, or near a priority seat on a train or a bus.

I would use "near" instead of around.

Using "etc" is rather vague. I would add to the list if possible, but I don't think "etc" works very well here.

In the US, we say "cell-phone", but now and then one might read "mobile" phone here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Although I suppose it is not politically correct, I would understand it readily if it was referred to as handicapped seating. (That is a lot shorter than seating for disabled or elderly.)

Last edited by RonBee; 15-Sep-2009 at 17:25. Reason: add something

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast