• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

Question is or is being

-Omar is/is being difficult because he was asked to go to bed early.
    -What do you think /are you thinking about Tunisia for our holiday this year.
    -John is reading a book about the Emirates so he knows all about them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: is or is being

Quote Originally Posted by fuadha View Post
    -Omar is being difficult because he was asked to go to bed early.
    -What do you think about Tunisia for our holiday this year.

The meaning of this sentence is not clear. Does it mean that he now knows all about them or that he is reading the book in order to learn all about them?

-Omar is/is being difficult because he was asked to go to bed early.
    -What do you think /are you thinking about Tunisia for our holiday this year.

Omar is being difficult because he was asked to go to bed early. << This is temporary behavior, so use the progressive form of "be".

What do you think about Tunisia for our holiday this year. << The verb "think" is stative, not progressive, here because it is used as a way of expressing an opinion. - What do you think? What's your opinion?

John is reading a book about the Emirates, so he knows all about them. << This is correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

Smile Re: is or is being

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Omar is being difficult because he was asked to go to bed early. << This is temporary behavior, so use the progressive form of "be".

What do you think about Tunisia for our holiday this year. << The verb "think" is stative, not progressive, here because it is used as a way of expressing an opinion. - What do you think? What's your opinion?

John is reading a book about the Emirates, so he knows all about them. << This is correct.
    Thank you PROSEL very much I really appreciate your help.

Thank you PROSEL very much I really appreciate your help.
    You're welcome. However, there's one thing I overlooked.

John is reading a book about the Emirates, so he knows all about them.

Depending on exactly what you mean by "Emirates", it could be that "them" should be "it". I don't think one would refer to the United Arab Emirates as "the Emirates", but I suppose it's possible.

emirate: Definition from Answers.com

emirates: Information from Answers.com - one entity - a country - singular - If this is what you mean in your sentence, then use "it" in place of "them".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    You're welcome. However, there's one thing I overlooked.

John is reading a book about the Emirates, so he knows all about them.

Depending on exactly what you mean by &quot;Emirates&quot;, it could be that &quot;them&quot; should be &quot;it&quot;. I don't think one would refer to the United Arab Emirates as &quot;the Emirates&quot;, but I suppose it's possible.

emirate: Definition from Answers.com

emirates: Information from Answers.com - one entity - a country - singular - If this is what you mean in your sentence, then use &quot;it&quot; in place of &quot;them&quot;.

I agree with Prose on that one: the United States of America is referred to in the singular, because it's a country. The fact that the leaders of the UAE have their own sovereignty doesn't mean they are likely to use it to specify the way our grammar works, even in relation to their country's name.

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I agree with Prose on that one: the United States of America is referred to in the singular, because it's a country. The fact that the leaders of the UAE have their own sovereignty doesn't mean they are likely to use it to specify the way our grammar works, even in relation to their country's name.
    Does this mean you would recommend treating it as a plural, or simply that they would treat it as a plural in Arabic, as well as in English? If so, this poses an interesting question: Does one use English grammar when using English, or does one speak and write from one's viewpoint when using English as a foreign or second language?