• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Smile One quick moment

Hi,

Is the use of "give me one quick moment" appropriate?

What are the alternatives?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: One quick moment

It might be all right to tolerant people, but it is an imperative, without "please."

I'd suggest "One moment, please" or "may I put you on hold?"

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

Is the use of "give me one quick moment" appropriate?

What are the alternatives?

Thanks
    There's nothing wrong with saying this. When people say "one moment" or "a minute", it sometimes really means a little longer than that. Your example expression would work just fine in a phone conversation to ensure the listener that you really mean "one moment" and not longer. It's spoken English. It's correct. There's nothing wrong with it. At worst, one might call it a pleonasm. The important thing is that one is understood. A native speaker of English will not think this sounds strange, odd, or bad, unless they're co-authors of the "spoken English style guide". It's not going to make or break good speaking skills or developing good speaking skills as either a native speaker of English or as a learner of English - in my opinion - of course.

More informal alternatives: Hold on a minute. Hold on - I'll be right back. Hang on a second. Just give me one quick second. Hang on. I'll be right with you. Hold on a minute. I'll be right with you. One minute. I'll be right back. - Okay, I'm back. So what order number was that? Do you have a P.O. number?

Middle ground alternatives - One moment, please. Please, wait just one minute. Please, hold. - Thank you for waiting. How may I direct your call?

More formal alternatives: May I put you on hold, please? Could you wait a moment, please? Would you mind waiting? I have to search for this information. Is it okay if I put you on hold while I find this information? I hope you don't mind waiting a minute. I have to talk to my manager about this.

Providing an explanation is more polite. Choosing what to say depends on the business one is in, who one is talking to (type of business - type of client - even the type of atmosphere), and how well you may or may not know the person you are talking to.

So what can we do with this list? Practice pronunciation, - intonation - of course! Short useful phrases are ideal for one who is at the beginning of learning better English pronunciation and gaining an awareness of it. This is "telephone English". This list is also good for register awareness.

Last edited by PROESL; 17-Sep-2009 at 18:01.

Knowing what to say and how to say it correctly is not enough. For practical purposes, learners must be presented with "how we say it" and the choices that native English speakers have as to "how we say it". This takes the focus off grammar, which is what some students need less of. Practical language that is real and natural can be combined with teaching grammar and pronunciation.