• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

in another word

Hi, everyone.
    Please tell me whether there is the expression "in another word" in English. Can "in another word" and "in other words" be used interchangeably? I consulted my Longman and Oxford dictionaries but I only find "in other words" in both dictionaries.
    Thanks.
    Richard

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: in another word

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyrichard View Post
    Hi, everyone.
    Please tell me whether there is the expression "in another word" in English. Can "in another word" and "in other words" be used interchangeably? I consulted my Longman and Oxford dictionaries but I only find "in other words" in both dictionaries.
    Thanks.
    Richard
    While "in another word" is a grammatical possibility, I've only used the expression "in other words". I haven't heard "in another word".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    While "in another word" is a grammatical possibility, I've only used the expression "in other words". I haven't heard "in another word".
    Thanks, PROESL.
    I came across this expression in the letter from my Taiwanese friend who is now studying in the States. I questioned its correctness, so I came here for your help. If you native speakers never use it, it is wrong without any doubt.
    Thanks again.
    Richard

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, PROESL.
    I came across this expression in the letter from my Taiwanese friend who is now studying in the States. I questioned its correctness, so I came here for your help. If you native speakers never use it, it is wrong without any doubt.
    Thanks again.
    Richard
    I've never heard of it, and I don't use it. However, I'd wait to see what other replies you get. It has happened that I've never heard an expression that others have.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of it, and I don't use it. However, I'd wait to see what other replies you get. It has happened that I've never heard an expression that others have.
    What do you mean by saying " It has happened that I've never heard an expression that others have"? Sometimes I find sentence structures you native speakers use are difficult to understand, let alone learning to use it in my own writing and speaking. Would you please explain it a little bit?...

Oh, just now my mind seemed to be blocked. I now know what you meant. You meant that it has happened that others have used certain expressions which you have never heard of.
    Sorry for my stupidity.
    Last edited by ohmyrichard; 16-Sep-2009 at 08:07.

• Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by saying " It has happened that I've never heard an expression that others have"? Sometimes I find sentence structures you native speakers use are difficult to understand, let alone learning to use it in my own writing and speaking. Would you please explain it a little bit?...

Oh, just now my mind seemed to be blocked. I now know what you meant. You meant that it has happened that others have used certain expressions which you have never heard of.
    Sorry for my stupidity.
    Just to be clear, anyway, here's a simpler way of saying it.

Sometimes I find that I don't use an expression that others use, and sometimes I find that I have not heard of an expression that others have heard of.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear, anyway, here's a simpler way of saying it.

Sometimes I find that I don't use an expression that others use, and sometimes I find that I have not heard of an expression that others have heard of.

Knowing the origins of the speaker who seems to have said the phrase in question, (Taiwanese), he is probably a speaker Mandarin and Taiwanese, two Chinese dialects. I've taught such students for years, and I notice they are not aware of the full importance of final consonants, and have difficulty as well with clustered consonants. As for groups of final consonants, well these are very hard to hear and to pronounce for most people in that linguistic group. I think what might have been said is, "in another world." Just a stab in the dark.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Knowing the origins of the speaker who seems to have said the phrase in question, (Taiwanese), he is probably a speaker Mandarin and Taiwanese, two Chinese dialects. I've taught such students for years, and I notice they are not aware of the full importance of final consonants, and have difficulty as well with clustered consonants. As for groups of final consonants, well these are very hard to hear and to pronounce for most people in that linguistic group. I think what might have been said is, "in another world." Just a stab in the dark.
    I think that's possible.

Yes, final "s" does present a problem for some ELLs, and sometimes other final consonant sounds as well.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

I think that's possible.

Yes, final "s" does present a problem for some ELLs, and sometimes other final consonant sounds as well.
    The following is the part of my Taiwanese friend's letter in which "in anothere word" was used. I type this part below for your reference.

I don't think we're specifically asked to formulate any theories based on the material we read, but it's not uncommon, take my Humanities class for instance, to speculate why people did the things they did, the reason behind a particular cultural ritual...ect. with a possible explanation. But there's not a standard to have to attain to for giving your speculation. In another word, one can say all he/she wants, no matter how outrageous, it's just personal opinions, the professor usually doesn't hold you to that. But depending on what each individual professor wants, there are different focuses on what he/she wants from their students.

Thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

The following is the part of my Taiwanese friend's letter in which "in anothere word" was used. I type this part below for your reference.

I don't think we're specifically asked to formulate any theories based on the material we read, but it's not uncommon, take my Humanities class for instance, to speculate why people did the things they did, the reason behind a particular cultural ritual...ect. with a possible explanation. But there's not a standard to have to attain to for giving your speculation. In another word, one can say all he/she wants, no matter how outrageous, it's just personal opinions, the professor usually doesn't hold you to that. But depending on what each individual professor wants, there are different focuses on what he/she wants from their students.

Thanks.
    Yes, he definitely should have written "in other words".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast