• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

going

A. I would like to know the meaning of "1".
    B. I would like to know the difference between "are we going to(1)" and "are we going to(2).

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly, her husband burst into the kitchen. "Careful," he said, "CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my GOD! You're cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my GOD! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They're going to STICK!

1. WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER?
    2. What are we going to have for dinner?

Re: going

Quote Originally Posted by wowenglish1 View Post
    A. I would like to know the meaning of "1".
    B. I would like to know the difference between "are we going to(1)" and "are we going to(2).

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly, her husband burst into the kitchen. "Careful," he said, "CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my GOD! You're cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my GOD! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They're going to STICK!

1. WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER?
    2. What are we going to have for dinner?
    1. Where are we going to get more butter?
    Everyone knows we get more butter at the store. This sentence has deeper implications. To me it has connotations of a lack of funds to buy more butter. Hence the term "where are we going to get more butter" might mean we don't have enough money for more butter so be careful with what we do have.
    2. "What are we going to do for dinner?" Again, there are connotations of the lack of money when taken in the same context. If the eggs are burned we will have nothing to eat.