Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 447
    #1

    Relative pronoun -- that

    He is the only one of the chimps that comprehends.

    He is one of the chimps that comprehend.

    The second sentence takes the subject for comprehend to be Chimps. Can't we take 'One' as the subject, and so it becomes 'He is one of the chimps that comprehends'?

    Also is it so that only because of the presence of the limiting word 'only' that that takes ' one ' instead of chimps?

    Thanks in advance for your help

    Kiran


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #2

    Re: Relative pronoun -- that

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post

    He is one of the chimps that comprehend.
    The antecedent of 'that' is 'one' in the sentence.



    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    #3

    Re: Relative pronoun -- that

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    He is the only one of the chimps that comprehends.
    This means that there are many chimps, but only one of them comprehends.

    "Of all the chimps, he is the only one that comprehends."
    (You can omit "only" -- "Of all the chimps, he is the one that comprehends."

    "He is the only one that comprehends" is the sentence without the prepositional phrase.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    He is one of the chimps that comprehend.
    This means that lots of chimps comprehend, and he is one of them.

    "Of all the chimps that comprehend, he is one of them."

    "the chimps that comprehend" is the object of the preposition "of."

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    The second sentence takes the subject for comprehend to be Chimps. Can't we take 'One' as the subject, and so it becomes 'He is one of the chimps that comprehends'?
    Not in this case, I think.

    We could say "He is one who pays his bills on time." Or "He is one that comprehends."

    But in the sentence, the phrase "of the chimps that comprehend" is an entire phrase.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Also is it so that only because of the presence of the limiting word 'only' that that takes ' one ' instead of chimps?
    No, it is unrelated to the word "only' -- except in so far as "only" gives a clue to the meaning.

    "Of all the chimps, he is the one that comprehends."
    "Of the chimps that comprehend, he is one."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 447
    #4

    Re: Relative pronoun -- that

    Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    This means that there are many chimps, but only one of them comprehends.

    "Of all the chimps, he is the only one that comprehends."
    (You can omit "only" -- "Of all the chimps, he is the one that comprehends."

    "He is the only one that comprehends" is the sentence without the prepositional phrase.



    This means that lots of chimps comprehend, and he is one of them.

    "Of all the chimps that comprehend, he is one of them."

    "the chimps that comprehend" is the object of the preposition "of."


    Not in this case, I think.

    We could say "He is one who pays his bills on time." Or "He is one that comprehends."

    But in the sentence, the phrase "of the chimps that comprehend" is an entire phrase.



    No, it is unrelated to the word "only' -- except in so far as "only" gives a clue to the meaning.

    "Of all the chimps, he is the one that comprehends."
    "Of the chimps that comprehend, he is one."



    Other than the presence of two words 'the only' there isn't any difference between the two sentences.

    He is the only one of the chimps that comprehends.

    He is one of the chimps that comprehend.

    So, in the first sentence too, we can see the sentence as ' of the chimps that comprehend, he is the only one'? If that is the case, we can take the subject for the verb 'to comprehend' either one or the chimps?

    Also, a question: I read some where that an object of presposition ends with a noun. Is it correct?

    Thanks

    Kiran


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    #5

    Re: Relative pronoun -- that

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Other than the presence of two words 'the only' there isn't any difference between the two sentences.

    He is the only one of the chimps that comprehends.

    He is one of the chimps that comprehend.
    I think there is a clear difference between the two sentences.

    The first one states that there is exactly one chimp who comprehends, while all the other chimps are dumb.

    The second sentence states that there are a number of chimps that comprehend, and he is one of that number.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    So, in the first sentence too, we can see the sentence as ' of the chimps that comprehend, he is the only one'? If that is the case, we can take the subject for the verb 'to comprehend' either one or the chimps?
    The expression "Of all the chimps that comprehend, he is the only one" is meaningless.

    You could say, "Of all the chimps that comprehend, he is the only one to understand French."

    But it doesn't make sense to refer to a number of chimps with some attribute, and then immediately state that there is only one such.

    > "Of all the hamburgers I've eaten in my life, this is the only one."
    > "Of all the times I've visited this zoo, this is the only time."

    What would those sentences even mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Also, a question: I read some where that an object of presposition ends with a noun. Is it correct?
    Yes, the object of a preposition is a noun -- or a pronoun or a gerund or a phrase.

    "I went TO the store" (where "store" is the noun that is the object of the preposition "to")

    "I went to the store my uncle owns" (where the phrase "the store my uncle owns" is the object of the preposition)

    Object (grammar) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  1. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #6

    Re: Relative pronoun -- that

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    The antecedent of 'that' is 'one' in the sentence.

    Wecome back, Svartnik!

Similar Threads

  1. Exception to the rule? Omission of relative pronoun
    By Federerexpress in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2010, 14:57
  2. Using the correct relative pronoun
    By ametisto in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2008, 06:21
  3. Why "where" is an adverb and not a relative pronoun?
    By Deepurple in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2008, 20:18
  4. 'as' being used as a relative pronoun
    By riceball72 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2007, 17:35
  5. Attributive Clause - China Needs Your Help
    By ChinaDavid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2005, 16:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •