Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 19
    #1

    Please help me with this sentence

    " I donít want people to go on treating me like a child ".

    Could any one help me with the structure of the sentence? (means Subject, Object like that....) and what is the function of "like a child" in the sentence?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #2

    Exclamation Re: Please help me with this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by sandyy View Post
    " I don’t want people to go on treating me like a child ".

    Could any one help me with the structure of the sentence? (means Subject, Object like that....) and what is the function of "like a child" in the sentence?
    The sentense structure is correct with 'i' as subject and people as the direct object. The underlined expresion is an infinitive phrase complimenting the object. The expression "like a child' is only a part of the phrase which is a single unit.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 17-Sep-2009 at 09:21.


    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 19
    #3

    Re: Please help me with this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    The sentense structure is correct with 'i' as subject and people as the direct object. The underlined expresion is an infinitive phrase complimenting the object. The expression "like a child' is only a part of the phrase which is a single unit.



    Is Infinitive phrase acting like noun or adjective here?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #4

    Exclamation Re: Please help me with this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by sandyy View Post
    Is Infinitive phrase acting like noun or adjective here?
    Since it is complimenting the object (a noun), it is acting as an adjective.


    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 19
    #5

    Re: Please help me with this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Since it is complimenting the object (a noun), it is acting as an adjective.

    Thanks Sarat_106 for your help.

Similar Threads

  1. A question about using "that" in a sentence
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2009, 13:05
  2. [Grammar] sentence correction
    By am-ta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2009, 10:19
  3. How make passive-voice sentence to active voice sentence.
    By meialouca in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jun-2009, 10:30
  4. Attributive Clause - China Needs Your Help
    By ChinaDavid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2005, 16:56
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 20:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •