• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Why not ancient stars here?

Hello Everyone,

I can't find the Chinese equivalent for the underlined phrases, I would like to know here why the author not use ancient stars here but add "generation of" here?

Politically, too, there was a shift. The Earth from space looks just like a map — except without the national borders. Collins remembers people of every nation saying to him, “‘We did it’ — it was a wonderful thing.” Ed Mitchell, on his way back from the Moon, realised that “the molecules of my body and of the spacecraft and of my partners were manufactured in some ancient generation of stars — and that was an overwhelming sense of oneness and connectedness. Inspired by the landings, René Dubos coined the phrase “Think globally, act locally”. T minus zero for Apollo was T plus one for globalisation.

Regards

Sky

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Why not ancient stars here?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I can't find the Chinese equivalent for the underlined phrases, I would like to know here why the author did not use ancient stars here but added "generation of" here?

Politically, too, there was a shift. The Earth from space looks just like a map — except without the national borders. Collins remembers people of every nation saying to him, “‘We did it’ — it was a wonderful thing.” Ed Mitchell, on his way back from the Moon, realised that “the molecules of my body and of the spacecraft and of my partners were manufactured in some ancient generation of stars — and that was an overwhelming sense of oneness and connectedness. Inspired by the landings, René Dubos coined the phrase “Think globally, act locally”. T minus zero for Apollo was T plus one for globalisation.

Regards

Sky
    Dear Sky:

He could have said either 'ancient stars' or 'ancient generation of stars'. It's a stylistic choice. 'Some ancient generation of stars' created an image in the reader's mind of a group of stars existing at a certain point in time. By using the word 'generation' the author implies a direct connection between himself (a member of the present generation) and the ancient stars that created the very molecules he is made of. It is a way of saying that those stars are, in a way, his ancestors.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Dear Sky:

He could have said either 'ancient stars' or 'ancient generation of stars'. It's a stylistic choice. 'Some ancient generation of stars' created an image in the reader's mind of a group of stars existing at a certain point in time. By using the word 'generation' the author implies a direct connection between himself (a member of the present generation) and the ancient stars that created the very molecules he is made of. It is a way of saying that those stars are, in a way, his ancestors.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra
    Your explanation is very clear! Also thanks for pointing out my mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I can't find the Chinese equivalent for the underlined phrases, I would like to know here why the author not use ancient stars here but add "generation of" here?

Regards

Sky
    The generation of stars (called by an unlucky toss of a coin Generation II) which was responsible for creating the molecules heavier than helium -- that generation of stars has passed away.

In their death throes, these stars, the original inhabitants of the universe, spewed out matter that became the stars we have today (by unlucky chance, misnamed Generation I stars), as well as the heavy elements of the periodic table which make up the bodies of astronauts and space ships.

So it was not "ancient stars" exactly that made us. It was an entire ancient generation of stars that created the elements from which we are made.

As I understand it, astronomers noted that there were two generations of stars -- but they did not yet know which group came first. So they just picked one set to be called GI and the other to be called GII. Unluckily, they got it wrong.
    - So the first stars that formed after the Big Bang were the so-called Generation II stars.
    - Their violent deaths created the elements heavier than helium, which coalesced into the next generation of stars (called Generation I stars), and the planets as well.

Disclaimer: I think that's the right information. I'm no astronomer!