Page 9 of 15 First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Last
Results 81 to 90 of 146

Thread: I thought I had

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: I thought I had

    This repost of spam has been deleted - BobK

    Now, to me, it seems like you've caught on. In certain types of communication, one may opt for the past perfect even when to correctly and logically complete a grammatical sentence it is not required. This is so because the past perfect can add a slight air of refiniement and add articulateness to one's communication in certain contexts. However, this has no bearing on whether or not "I thought I replied" is correct. It's correct to say and write "I thought I replied".

    This is my language, and I'm well spoken and articulate, so I don't need to go to such sources to confirm the certainty of what I say and how I say it. Nor would I ever go to such sources to confirm the certainty of what I write. This does not preclude looking up words in the dictionary, which I gather everyone does from time to time.
    Last edited by BobK; 22-Sep-2009 at 18:42. Reason: Deleted spam

  2. #82
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Now, to me, it seems like you've caught on. In certain types of communication, one may opt for the past perfect even when to correctly and logically complete a grammatical sentence it is not required. This is so because the past perfect can add a slight air of refiniement and add articulateness to one's communication in certain contexts. However, this has no bearing on whether or not "I thought I replied" is correct. It's correct to say and write "I thought I replied".

    This is my language, and I'm well spoken and articulate, so I don't need to go to such sources to confirm the certainty of what I say and how I say it. Nor would I ever go to such sources to confirm the certainty of what I write. This does not preclude looking up words in the dictionary, which I gather everyone does from time to time.
    I think you just answered a spam, mate.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Yes, with hundreds of millions of users, there are indeed millions of errors. On the .... you know.... Internet.
    No, this search does not provide evidence to that claim at all. If you think it does, then can you explain how?

    "I thought I replied" - Google Search

  4. #84
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    We do have subpar English standards called Singlish in Singapore and a similar Manglish in Malaysia. Some of the syntaxes we use in sentences are actually wrong in standard English (the one that's taught in grammar books), but their meanings can be easily understood or implicit within a given context. Does that mean that these are grammatically correct too? After all, they are localized colloquial forms of English. Isn't there a colloquial English among natives too? By the way, the first language and language of instruction of Singapore is English.
    And I would never consider Singlish to be "subpar" as Proesl has called it. It's a local flavour, that is all. Many things you hear there could very easily be adopted into other forms or international English, such as "my one" for "mine."

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I think you just answered a spam, mate.
    It seems that Lycen wanted to further make his point by posting it. I didn't click on the link. My reply still maintains its logic and reason whatever the link happens to contain.

  6. #86
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    No, this search does not provide evidence to that claim at all. If you think it does, then can you explain how?

    "I thought I replied" - Google Search
    We need look no further than your own errors in message #81. We do not need to examine that search, in order to find errors by native speakers. A propos, really.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    And I would never consider Singlish to be "subpar" as Proesl has called it. It's a local flavour, that is all. Many things you hear there could very easily be adopted into other forms or international English, such as "my one" for "mine."
    I didn't call it subpar, Lycen called it subpar. I simply repeated what he said to further state my case. Please, do not attribute words to me that I did not type-say.

    This is a form of subterfuge and a diversion to knock the discussion off track, and one shoulld not have to resort to such methods to state one's case or put forth an argument.

  8. #88
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    I didn't call it subpar, Lycen called it subpar. I simply repeated what he said to further state my case. Please, do not attribute words to me that I did not type-say.

    This is a form of subterfuge and a diversion to knock the discussion off track, and one shoulld not have to resort to such methods to state one's case or put forth an argument.
    I hadn't noticed Lycen's use of the word. But you did type it too, so I thought you were using the word. There is no subterfuge or diversion. Personally, I wouldn't say anyone's local sort of English is sub-par, even if someone else started it.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    We need look no further than your own errors in message #81. We do not need to examine that search, in order to find errors by native speakers. A propos, really.
    Neither are personal attacks necessary. I type fast and leave out words or mispell words. By stating that I've made errors is only to restate what you have stated already without providing any reasoning on which to base your argument.

    Here's the question: What reason can you give for stating that "I thought I replied" is not as good or not as correct as "I thought I had replied" when both are isolated sentences?

    I've given reasons and have shown examples. You have run out of things to post. Therefore, you must resort to these sorts of comments:

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    We need look no further than your own errors in message #81. We do not need to examine that search, in order to find errors by native speakers. A propos, really.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: I thought I had

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I hadn't noticed Lycen's use of the word. But you did type it too, so I thought you were using the word. There is no subterfuge or diversion. Personally, I wouldn't say anyone's local sort of English is sub-par, even if someone else started it.
    It doesn't matter whether or not I typed. I've already told you that I merely picked it up to continue stating my case since Lycen was using it state his case. I also told him that calling attention to such forms of English is not relevant. It doesn't not fit logically with this discussion. It is a non sequitur.

Page 9 of 15 First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •