• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Searching for VS THE searching for

Is better to use "Searching for the best girl in the world." OR "The searching for the best girl in the world.".

With "searching" I mean something not specified previously on some radio show :) nor some kind of other activity of euroweekend's male travellers that last for a couple of days, you know :).

I want to say it as something uncertain, something that will last maybe forever or my whole lifetime and is not limited to time.

With or without an article?

Re: Searching for VS THE searching for

I'm afraid it's a little unclear precisely what you want to say, or what kind of sentence you need for the context.

I'm guessing you need either:

1. Searching for the best girl in the world.

or...

2. The search for the best girl in the world.

Both sound like titles of magazine articles. Is that the kind of thing you're after? Anyway, take your pick, because the context is still a little unclear.

It's difficult for me to imagine a context in which I would consider "The searching for the best girl in the world" to be a viable option. It's an example of one of those sentences that would virtually never be uttered by a native speaker, and so I want very much to tell you it's wrong...but I can't because it isn't.

Greg
    Last edited by dragn; 19-Sep-2009 at 17:24.

2. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by dragn View Post
    I'm afraid it's a little unclear precisely what you want to say, or what kind of sentence you need for the context.

I'm guessing you need either:

1. Searching for the best girl in the world.

or...

2. The search for the best girl in the world.

Both sound like titles of magazine articles. Is that the kind of thing you're after? Anyway, take your pick, because the context is still a little unclear.

It's difficult for me to imagine a context in which I would consider "The searching for the best girl in the world" to be a viable option. It's an example of one of those sentences that would virtually never be uttered by a native speaker, and so I want very much to tell you it's wrong...but I can't because it isn't.

Greg
    OK, but how do you say, that you want to find some girl, which is best/tallest/smartest in the whole world/city/universe, using just one sentence for it?

example:
    Bill: "What are you searching for?"
    Tom: "I am searching for the best girl in the world. You know what I mean."
    Bill: "Yeah, I know. Searching for the best girl in the world. It is like searching for the dog, which doesn't bark."

Is this example wrong or good? How will you tell it differently?

Maybe you know the Star Trek movie "The search for Spock" :D so why it can not be "Searching for Spock". What is wrong with the 2nd sentence? Why did the filmmakers use "the search for" instead of "searching for"?

Is "searching for" conceived as for example a computer command. Like DO IT!

I mean, does "searching for" equal to "SEARCH IT!"? Is this in English conceived like infinitive with imperative combined together :)?

Are this two possibilities (searching for/the search for) equal? If so, which is used mostly?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Off topic, but maybe you could help me.

How I conceive the difference between LOOKING and SEARCHING. Tell me if it is wrong, please.

When I say "I am looking for Tim", I am using my eyes at the first place when I am trying to find him. of course I can ask and so on, but my eyes are the "looking stuff" :D

When I say "I am searching for Tim", the primary method I am using has not to be only my eyes. I can use other methods to find him, asking people, using different computer devices :D or other futuristic stuff etc.
    Last edited by popio; 19-Sep-2009 at 21:43.

Tom: "I am searching for the best girl in the world."
    Yes. Exactly. "I'm searching for the best girl in the world." This is fine; it's a complete sentence. In other words, that's what I am doing.

"The search for the best girl in the world" and "Searching for the best girl in the world" are simply noun phrases; not complete sentences. That's what I meant when I said it wasn't clear to me what exactly you were trying to say.

Maybe you know the Star Trek movie "The search for Spock" :D so why it can not be "Searching for Spock". What is wrong with the 2nd sentence? Why did the filmmakers use "the search for" instead of "searching for"?
    They could have. That's the point. Why isn't it Searching for Spock? Ask Gene Rodenberry. How about the play Waiting for Godot? Why isn't it The Wait for Godot? Ask Samuel Beckett.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other. It could be that in The Search for Spock, they actually find Spock; the search is complete. However, in Waiting for Godot, Godot never shows up. The waiting never really ends. Who knows. I could waste twenty minutes of your time yammering on and on about the subtle differences that might exist, and you would be just as confused when I finished.

Is "searching for" conceived as for example a computer command. Like DO IT!
    No. A command would be Search for Spock, an imperative sentence as opposed to a noun phrase.

How I conceive the difference between LOOKING and SEARCHING. Tell me if it is wrong, please.

When I say "I am looking for Tim", I am using my eyes at the first place when I am trying to find him. of course I can ask and so on, but my eyes are the "looking stuff" :D

When I say "I am searching for Tim", the primary method I am using has not to be only my eyes. I can use other methods to find him, asking people, using different computer devices :D or other futuristic stuff etc.
    In my opinion, about the only difference here is that if you are searching for something or someone, it generally sounds like you are looking for that thing or person with a greater degree of intensity or urgency. No substantial difference in meaning; mainly just a question of emphasis.

Greg
    Last edited by dragn; 22-Sep-2009 at 07:13.