• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

aerial

I have the following questions regarding the usage of the word 'aerial':

a) Is the word 'aerial' used for 'antenna' only in BrE or also in AmE?
    b) Is the word 'aerial' used indistinctly for 'radio antenna', 'ham antenna', 'tv antenna', 'internal antenna', 'external antenna', etc? In these expressions, is it the same to say 'radio aerial', 'ham aerial', etc?

Re: aerial

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    I have the following questions regarding the usage of the word 'aerial':

a) Is the word 'aerial' used for 'antenna' only in BrE or also in AmE?
    b) Is the word 'aerial' used indistinctly for 'radio antenna', 'ham antenna', 'tv antenna', 'internal antenna', 'external antenna', etc? In these expressions, is it the same to say 'radio aerial', 'ham aerial', etc?

I think it has more to do with the type of antenna that it is. As well, "aerial" sounds more technical to me. I always say "antenna" for any kind of antenna, though I would recognize "aerial".

aerial: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

A radio antenna, especially one suspended in or extending into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    I think it has more to do with the type of antenna that it is. As well, "aerial" sounds more technical to me. I always say "antenna" for any kind of antenna, though I would recognize "aerial".

aerial: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

A radio antenna, especially one suspended in or extending into the air.
    My students inform me that unmarked police cars are recognizable because they have aerials sticking up from the trunk.

In the 1950's, warring street gangs used to break off the aerials of parked cars to use them like whips, as weapons against their rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    My students inform me that unmarked police cars are recognizable because they have aerials sticking up from the trunk.

In the 1950's, warring street gangs used to break off the aerials of parked cars to use them like whips, as weapons against their rivals.

I guess they're not unmarked then. Do you think someone should tell the police that their cover's been blown? They might not be able to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    I guess they're not unmarked then. Do you think someone should tell the police that their cover's been blown? They might not be able to figure it out.
    LOL!