• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

sticker paralysis

Affixation Remorse 170 up, 12 down The feeling that you wasted an awesome sticker that you probably should have used elsewhere. Often the result of sticker paralysis, and similar to Tattoo Remorse

Following is the definaton of sticker paralysis, but I still don't get what it means? I don't know what affixation remorse means too. Can anyone help?

Tks / ju

The effect caused by having a really awesome sticker and no appropriate place to use it. General symptoms include keeping the sticker in a drawer and never actually using it. Sometimes resulting in affixation remorse.
    "I have contracted a case of sticker paralysis from this Vintage Apple sticker. I can't decide if I should put it on my fake plastic guitar or my rear window or my skateboard. It is too precious to use on just anything.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: sticker paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Affixation Remorse 170 up, 12 down The feeling that you wasted an awesome sticker that you probably should have used elsewhere. Often the result of sticker paralysis, and similar to Tattoo Remorse

Following is the definaton of sticker paralysis, but I still don't get what it means? I don't know what affixation remorse means too. Can anyone help?

Tks / ju

The effect caused by having a really awesome sticker and no appropriate place to use it. General symptoms include keeping the sticker in a drawer and never actually using it. Sometimes resulting in affixation remorse.
    "I have contracted a case of sticker paralysis from this Vintage Apple sticker. I can't decide if I should put it on my fake plastic guitar or my rear window or my skateboard. It is too precious to use on just anything.
    It's supposed to be funny.
    You have a nice sticker and you can't decide where to stick it, so you procrastinate, and leave your sticker in your drawer - stuck nowhere. That is "sticker paralysis".
    It's like "dessert paralaysis". In the fridge you have two desserts - caramel tart and apple pie. You can only have one; you can't decide. So you sit around trying to decide, and end up not having either.

I'm afraid I don't fully agree with "sticker remorse*". The context doesn't explain it well. It seems that it should mean sticking your sticker somewhere then realising that you should have stuck it somewhere else. If that is the case, then "sticker paralysis" would not lead to "sticker remorse". The same would apply to "dessert remorse", in which you decide on one dessert, eat it, and then feel that you should have chosen the other one.

"Sticker remorse" would be more often follow "sticker impetuosity", as does "tattoo remorse", for example.

*Or "affixation remorse". If you stick something somewhere, you affix it.

They are all silly terms, and you could forget about them without suffering any detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post

Tks / ju

Once you stick your sticker to something, you can't get it off. So if you stick it on something and then later you wish you hadn't -- that is "affixation remorse." It means that you regret sticking the sticker on the object you chose -- you wish you could have the sticker back again, because now you have come to think its place isn't good enough after all.

The expression "affixation remorse" is a joke, a made-up term. "To affix" means "to stick one thing to another," so they made up the word "affixation" out of that verb.

"Sticker paralysis" means that your special sticker is so great that you can never quite make up your mind where to use it. So in the end, you don't stick it anywhere -- you are paralyzed by indecision (and the fear of afterwards feeling affixation remorse caused by making a bad decision.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    -- you are paralyzed by indecision (and the fear of afterwards feeling affixation remorse caused by making a bad decision.)
    This is the crux of my disagreement with the original definition. I agree with you that "sticker paralysis" may be partly caused by the fear of future "sticker remorse". But the original article says that "sticker paralysis" can cause "sticker remorse".

This is an important psychological principle. The fear of a future condition is not the condition itself.
    Consider agoraphobia. Agoraphobia can be partly caused or exacerbated by the fear of fainting in public and embarrassing oneself. Agoraphobia does not cause fainting in public and embarrassing oneself.

In the same way, "sticker paralysis" does not cause "sticker remorse". If you are suffering from "sticker remorse", you must at some stage have overcome your "sticker paralysis".

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    This is the crux of my disagreement with the original definition. I agree with you that "sticker paralysis" may be partly caused by the fear of future "sticker remorse". But the original article says that "sticker paralysis" can cause "sticker remorse".

This is an important psychological principle. The fear of a future condition is not the condition itself.
    Consider agoraphobia. Agoraphobia can be partly caused or exacerbated by the fear of fainting in public and embarrassing oneself. Agoraphobia does not cause fainting in public and embarrassing oneself.

In the same way, "sticker paralysis" does not cause "sticker remorse". If you are suffering from "sticker remorse", you must at some stage have overcome your "sticker paralysis".
    Yes, that's right. I believe we both interpreted the situation the same way -- better than the article expressed it, too.

But I thought that the sideswipe into this issue that the article gave was consistent in tone with the style and material -- just a quick slapdash reference to immobilized dither: "Oh God! What if I stick it there and then hate it? I better wait -- to be sure I won't regret it."

This is a paralyzing factor in ADDITION to the "indecision" freeze-up caused by competing desiderata.

Hahaha! That was a pretty good little article.