• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

emergence

Does the sentence below make sense? I'm not sure whether "emergence" and "has its roots" indicate the same thing, and are therefore incompatible.

The emergence of sport as an economic force has its roots in the decision of the International Olympic Committee to allow the Olympic Games to be commercially sponsored.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: emergence

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Does the sentence below make sense? I'm not sure whether "emergence" and "has its roots" indicate the same thing, and are therefore incompatible.

The emergence of sport as an economic force has its roots in the decision of the International Olympic Committee to allow the Olympic Games to be commercially sponsored.

Thanks.
    Yes the sentence makes come complete sense, the usage of "emergence and "has its roots" is appropriate and they indicate difference things...

Emergence: .
    1. to come forth into view or notice, as from concealment or obscurity: a ghost emerging from the grave; a ship emerging from the fog.
    2. to rise or come forth from or as if from water or other liquid.
    3. to come up or arise, as a question or difficulty.
    4. to come into existence; develop.
    5. to rise, as from an inferior or unfortunate state or condition.

Has its roots:
    The reason, root cause, the thing which is responsible..

You can even reframe the sentence..

The rise of sport as an economic force has been because of the decision of the International Olympic........

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: emergence

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post

Thanks.
    I can see why you're asking.
    It's actually "sport as an economic force" that "has its roots in the decision ...." Given that the emergence of this happened a long time ago, i.e. it's not still emerging, you could use "had" as your verb.
    But I don't think too many people would complain about your original sentence.