• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

full employment

THe following sentences are discussing how to improve employment, but I can't understand the undelined parts. Can you help me?

1. A mix of part time paied work and part -time unpaied work is likely to become a much more common work pattern than tody and a flexilife patter of work-involving paied employment at certain stages of life- but not at others- will become widespread.

2. ( If peple work only 2 or 3 days) There would be so many people spending so much of their time on other activities, including other forms of useful work, that the primacy of employment would be bound to be called into question, at least to some extent.

Re: full employment

[QUOTE=bosun;518132]THe following sentences are discussing how to improve employment, but I can't understand the undelined parts. Can you help me?

A mix of part time paied work
    A mix of part-time paid work

and part -time unpaied work
    and part-time unpaid work

is likely to become a much more common work pattern
    is likely to become a much more common work pattern

than tody
    than it is today.

and a flexilife patter of work-involving paied employment
    A "flexilife" pattern of work involving paid employment

at certain stages of life- but not at others- will become widespread.
    at certain stages of life -- but not at other stages -- will become widespread.

This passage means that it will be common to see -- somewhere in a person's work history -- some periods with unpaid work. However, this will be common only during some parts of a person's life (while he is a student, perhaps), not during his entire career. So part of a person's life will include some unpaid work, but other parts of a person's career will consist of paid work only.

2. ( If peple work only 2 or 3 days) There would be so many people spending so much of their time on other activities, including other forms of useful work, that the primacy of employment would be bound to be called into question, at least to some extent.

I take this to mean that people would start to doubt that their careers are important. They will have many other things in their lives besides work. Their jobs will not be the most important part of their lives any more.