• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Occitan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Question use of 'still'

the use of 'still' in sentences is confusing for me, can anyone help?
    for example we say " you still have three days left to fill in the form" or " you have still three days left to fill in theform" or "still, you have three days left to fill in the form" is there any difference in meaning or we can use any of them. to me the first one and the third one is looking correct but the second one is looking some what confusing. Views welcome. Thanks.

Re: use of 'still'

Quote Originally Posted by hznaeem View Post
    the use of 'still' in sentences is confusing for me, can anyone help?
    for example we say " you still have three days left to fill in the form" or " you have still three days left to fill in theform" or "still, you have three days left to fill in the form" is there any difference in meaning or we can use any of them. to me the first one and the third one is looking correct but the second one is looking some what confusing. Views welcome. Thanks.
    The first sentence is the most common. It's possible to place "still" in other parts of the sentence. However, these are secondary placements of the adverb "still". With "still" as the first word of the sentence, the meaning could be affected. In this case "still" could mean "anyway" or "just the same". Context would determine this and even the speaker's tone of voice could provide meaning in this respect.

Secondary adverb placement is more typical in spoken English than in written English and may occur as a result of emphasis or as as a result of the order in which thoughts occur to someone in spontaneous conversational language.

Saying "you have still three days" is unlikely and not really good adverb placement, but it is possible. However, keep in mind that while it may sound like spoken language from a native speaker, it could easily sound like non-native speech coming from a speaker with a moderate to heavy foreign accent.