• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • China

help for two sentences please

Please provide the person in charge from ABC bank, so that we can advise our bank contact him / her directly to ensure both LCs are cancelled.

We noted 15 pcs of U78 have been shipped to UK by courier. Please send us the related document for payment (settlement). We would change the payment from LC to TT to help you saving the bank charge.

Re: help for two sentences please

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe2008 View Post
    Please provide the person in charge from ABC bank, so that we can advise our bank contact him / her directly to ensure both LCs are cancelled.

We noted 15 pcs of U78 have been shipped to UK by courier. Please send us the related document for payment (settlement). We would change the payment from LC to TT to help you saving the bank charge.

It is not necessary to use a comma before beginning a "so that" clause that comes second in the sentence. This is an adverbial clause, and, as I and many others see it, a comma does not precede an adverbial clause that comes as the second clause in a sentence. I understand you may have observed native speakers do the opposite, but it's really not correct punctuation.

Please [provide the person in charge] at ABC bank so that we can advise our bank to contact him / her directly to ensure both LCs are cancelled.
    What do you want to provide? The sentence doesn't make sense without this information.

We noted 15 pcs of U78 have been shipped to the UK by courier. Please, send us the related document in order to make payment. We will change the payment from LC to TT to help you reduce the bank charge.
    It's not clear whether you want to help reduce the bank charge or eliminate the bank charge. Nevertheless, I corrected your sentence in the way I thought was best.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Proesl,

Thanks for your guide.

I would like explaine my sentences for your correction.

1. What do you want to provide? The sentence doesn't make sense without this information.
    - I asked customer provide me the contact person from their bank, so that we can contact this gug directly to ensure the LC is cancelled.

2. It's not clear whether you want to help reduce the bank charge or eliminate the bank charge. Nevertheless, I corrected your sentence in the way I thought was best.
    I want help the factory to reduce their bank charge.

Thanks and please revirew again when you have time

Regards
    Zoe

Please provide me with the name of the person in charge at the ABC bank. We will contact him or her directly to ensure that both LCs are canceled.

We noted 15 pcs of U78 have been shipped to UK by courier.
    Our records indicate that 15 pieces of U78 have been shipped to the UK by courier.

Please send us the related document for payment (settlement).
    Please send us your bill.
    NOTE: Possibly "invoice" instead of "bill."

We would change the payment from LC to TT to help you saving the bank charge.
    We will change the payment from LC to TT to save you the bank charges.
    Last edited by Ann1977; 24-Sep-2009 at 03:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe2008 View Post
    Hi Proesl,

Thanks for your guide.

I would like explaine my sentences for your correction.

1. What do you want to provide? The sentence doesn't make sense without this information.
    - I asked customer provide me the contact person from their bank, so that we can contact this gug directly to ensure the LC is cancelled.

2. It's not clear whether you want to help reduce the bank charge or eliminate the bank charge. Nevertheless, I corrected your sentence in the way I thought was best.
    I want help the factory to reduce their bank charge.

Thanks and please revirew again when you have time

Regards
    Zoe
    Okay, then it that case, I would only make this additional change:

Please provide us with the name of your contact at ABC bank so that we can advise our bank to contact him / her directly to ensure both LCs are cancelled.

I agree with Ann's revisions as well, except for the comma before the clause that begins with "so that". Please, remove the comma, Ann. It's rather irksome. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post

I agree with Ann's revisions as well, except for the comma before the clause that begins with "so that". Please, remove the comma, Ann. It's rather irksome. Thank you!

But... but... I sweated out that comma!

The problem is that the first clause is elephantine, loaded with prepositional phrases, and takes a LOOOOONG time to make its point ("Send us the guy's name")

By the time the reader has finished parsing out that verbiage, he needs additional orientation about where we are going with all this.

I would never use a comma in this sentence:
    "Tell me his name so we can contact him directly."

But all that STUFF between the subject and the word "so!"

I'll tell you what -- I'll separate the clauses even more, rather than drop that comma.
    (sulking) But I'm doing this under protest!!

And I'm doing it only because you're a cool guy.
    I can tell from your smiley how cool you are.
    ; )
    Last edited by Ann1977; 24-Sep-2009 at 03:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    But... but... I sweated out that comma!

The problem is that the first clause is elephantine, loaded with prepositional phrases, and takes a LOOOOONG time to make its point ("Send us the guy's name")

By the time the reader has finished parsing out that verbiage, he needs additional orientation about where we are going with all this.

But all that STUFF between the subject and the word "so!"

I'll tell you what -- I'll separate the clauses even more, rather than drop that comma.

; )
    The point is taken about the long clause. In that case, what about this? My clause is shorter than your clause.

Please, provide us with the name of your contact at ABC bank so that we can advise our bank to contact him / her directly to ensure both LCs are cancelled.

That's good. I'm glad to know that. Unfortunately, there are too many out there - right here in MA by the way - that would. It's entirely illogical. There's something wrong with the wiring in their minds as I see it. I met one of them once, and I'm sure that this person's wiring needs some adjusting. This person professed to be an ESL "curriculum writer". This person's idea was to have hotel employees memorize ten to twenty new hotel vocabulary words per week by using pictures. In this way, this person expected the employees' English to get better and progress. This is how this person thought ESL teachers could conduct classes. This "mal-thought-out" notion of how to teach language corresponds directly with a mind that would consistently use a comma before a "so that" clause. It shows a deficiency in vitamin logic. I read part of this person's "curriculum", and it was replete with commas before "so that" clauses.

This person also wanted the teachers to teach the employees "fixed phrases", expressions, and sentences in order to speak to hotel guests. These were beginner level one students, and some of them still didn't know how to fill out forms on their own. It wasn't going to work. This person got paid for the curriculum, and I put in extra time planning in order to compensate for the "curriculum" and "materials" that didn't work.

That works.

; )

Thank you. I think it's my dark sunglasses.
    Last edited by PROESL; 24-Sep-2009 at 04:38.

That's good. I'm glad to know that. Unfortunately, there are too many out there - right here in MA by the way - that would. It's entirely illogical. There's something wrong with the wiring in their minds as I see it. I met one of them once, and I'm sure that this person's wiring needs some adjusting. This person professed to be an ESL "curriculum writer". This person's idea was to have hotel employees memorize ten to twenty new hotel vocabulary words per week by using pictures. In this way, this person expected the employees' English to get better and progress. This is how this person thought ESL teachers could conduct classes. This "mal-thought-out" notion of how to teach language corresponds directly with a mind that would consistently use a comma before a "so that" clause. It shows a deficiency in vitamin logic. I read part of this person's "curriculum", and it was replete with commas before "so that" clauses.
    I have a lot of sympathy for fellow sufferers from pet peeves. If you are ever driven to drastic measures, you may rely on my support as a character witness.

However, I must insist that all the commas in front of "so" in the entire world since time began are not as bad as even one HAVE WENT!!

Or any of my own pet peeves, actually.

Thank you.

The point is taken about the long clause. In that case, what about this? My clause is shorter than your clause.

Please, provide us with the name of your contact at ABC bank so that we can advise our bank to contact him / her directly to ensure both LCs are cancelled.
    What, pray tell, is the meaning of that comma after "Please"?

Thank you. I think it's my dark sunglasses.
    Why, I do believe that's it!

I have a lot of sympathy for fellow sufferers from pet peeves. If you are ever driven to drastic measures, you may rely on my support as a character witness.

However, I must insist that all the commas in front of "so" in the entire world since time began are not as bad as even one HAVE WENT!!

Or any of my own pet peeves, actually.

Thank you.

What, pray tell, is the meaning of that comma after "Please"?

Why, I do believe that's it!

That's true. "Have went" is really bad. If you call customer service for a a certain ISP in a certain state close to Mexico, it's possible to hear things like "should have took". At that point, customer service doesn't fill me with optimism. However, with ESL students it's important to take great care in distinguish between a "so that" clause which only uses "so" because "that" is optional and a clause that begins with "so" to introduce a result or a logical conclusion, as in this case a comma is required before "so".

As for that comma, I dont' know what it means. It's reactionary as I see it. It's a form of extremist punctuation to the point that such writers lose all sense of logic in their zealous desire to punctuate. It could be a result of using a comma before "so", meaning "therefore", and just assuming that a comma goes before "so that".