push sb into doing sth/push sb to do sth

My parents pushed me into going to college. (I take it to mean "My parents succeeded and I went to college".)
    My parents pushed me to go to college. (We can't know from the sentence whether I finally went to college or not.)
    Am I right? Pls help me with this. Thanks.

Re: push sb into doing sth/push sb to do sth

Quote Originally Posted by yuhan View Post
    My parents pushed me into going to college. (I take it to mean "My parents succeeded and I went to college".)
    My parents pushed me to go to college. (We can't know from the sentence whether I finally went to college or not.)
    Am I right? Pls help me with this. Thanks.

The ordinary impulse would be to assume from the second sentence that you did go to college.
    "My parents pushed me to go to college. That was back in the 50s -- before the campus radicalism of the Vietnam War era."
    - Even without making any kind of assertion that he did in fact end up going, this sentence would leave most readers with the impression that he did.

But you are right in this sense:
    - The first sentence pretty well specifies that the person did go to college.

- The second one is the one that would be used if you hadn't.
    This is not the same thing as saying that it leaves it open. I suppose it technically DOES leave it open, but without some support from the context, it certainly casts the impression that the person went to college.

"My parents pushed me to go to college, but I enlisted in the military instead."
    - The first sentence would not work here, but the second sentence works fine.