• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

collaborate and co-operate

Can anyone tell me the difference between "collaborate" and "co-operate"?
    The sentence: "I wonder if you would like to collaborate with me on a book I'm thinking of writing about famous women in politics"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: collaborate and co-operate

Quote Originally Posted by san2612 View Post
    Can anyone tell me the difference between "collaborate" and "co-operate"?
    The sentence: "I wonder if you would like to collaborate with me on a book I'm thinking of writing about famous women in politics"
    Collaboration can be used in a positive way, in which case it means: To work together (more or less equal partners), especially in a joint intellectual effort to achieve a common goal.
    It can have negative implication when it is between two opposing partners such as when one party is an army of occupation and the other are people of the occupied country living under the power of this army

Cooperation has also positive and negative implications and is synonym collaboration. When the joint action by two or more people, in which each person contributes with different skills and express his or her individual interests and opinions to the unity and efficiency of the group in order to achieve common goals, it is termed Teamwork. On the other hand if one person cooperate with the enemy of a nation, organization or society in general against its interest, it is termed as betrayal of fidelity, confidence, or trust

In your sentence to collaborate has positive implications. You can also use the word cooperate instead, without any change in meaning of the sentence.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 27-Sep-2009 at 04:08.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: collaborate and co-operate

I would suggest that when people collaborate, they are working together on the same thing that will be jointly produced. A book with two authors, a research study with three scientists, a team of business people working on a project.

Cooperation does not require a jointly produced effort.

For example, two scientists, each working on her own study, may need to cooperate in their use of the lab. Or, they may cooperate by each sharing part of their research with each other so they don't need to each repeat the same experiments, even though they are looking at different aspects of the results.