1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

envious or jealous

Hello teachers, friends. would you please show me what the distinctions beween those 2 words are and which meaning of theirs is more "positive".
    Thank you all.

Re: envious or jealous

Quote Originally Posted by chimsm View Post
    Hello teachers, friends. would you please show me what the distinctions beween those 2 words are and which meaning of theirs is more "positive".
    Thank you all.
    Hi there,
    Envy is one of the seven deadly sins. And you may have heard of the saying "to be green with envy". So you could say it has a rather negative meaning.

However, the meanings of words that are as close as these sometimes depend on context. Generally, in daily conversations, jealousy has a little bit more negative meaning than envy.

But still, when your friend tells you that she's found a gorgeous pair of Manolo Blahniks 50% off, you can say "Oh, I'm so jealous!", and we'd all know that you don't actually mean it in a bad way.

Bonus point: In a romantic sense, you'd be jealous of your husband, you wouldn't envy him.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Im really curious about what you called "seven dealdy sins are" . would you mind specifying that? thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by chimsm View Post
    Im really curious about what you called "seven dealdy sins are" . would you mind specifying that? thanks.
    This is a Christian thing - not so much to do with religious beliefs, but just part of Western culture. The idea is that all sins are derived from one or more of the deadly sins. The Seven deadly sins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are like elements, and any instance of wrongdoing is a sort of 'molecule'. For example, if I don't bother to do something because I think I'm too clever to need it, that's a compound of laziness (traditionally, 'sloth') and pride.

There's (strictly) a clear distinction between envy and jealousy. Envy is wanting what someone else has got; jealousy is not wanting other people to have what you've got. But in colloquial language, this distinction is often muddied.

b