hello

hello dear teacher i'd like to know what does it means idiom : when it rains, it pours and please give me some examples please

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: hello

Quote Originally Posted by giokaxela View Post
    hello dear teacher i'd like to know what does it means idiom : when it rains, it pours and please give me some examples please
    Dear giokaxela:

Here are two examples of the usage of this expression:

'We were afraid we would have to close the school because we had so few students. Then, in December, we had fifty new enrollments. When it rains, it pours!'

'I was thinking I would never make any friends in my new town and that all my old friends had forgotten me. Then, yesterday, a co-worker invited me to her house for dinner, I got three letters from home and my new neighbor brought me a plate of cookies. When it rains, it pours!'

As you can see, 'when it rains, it pours' means that related events seem to come in groups, especially after what seems like a 'drought,' or extended shortage.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: hello

Quote Originally Posted by giokaxela View Post
    The original idiom is: "It never rains but it pours" which means "It never rains without pouring", so you can see it is indicative of a negative outlook.