• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

causes of marital breakdown

The following sentences discuss one cause of marital breakdown, but I cannot understand it .Can you please explain?

From a functionalist perspective it can be argued that the adaptation of the family to the requirements of the economic system has placed a strain on the marital relationship. It has led to the relative isolation of the nuclear family from the wider kinship network.

Re: causes of marital breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    The following sentences discuss one cause of marital breakdown, but I cannot understand it .Can you please explain?

From a functionalist perspective it can be argued that the adaptation of the family to the requirements of the economic system has placed a strain on the marital relationship. It has led to the relative isolation of the nuclear family from the wider kinship network.
    It means everyone is so busy trying to make money and get by that they don't have time for other people. Everyone lives in a small world of overtime, demanding jobs, errands, and miscelleneous obligations. And by the time they get done with all that, they're satisfied to sit in front of their TVs and let their minds turn into jelly. This situation makes it difficult on marriages because it separates couples from the rest of the community. A sense of community has been lost in the modern age. It's been replaced by television. And now with satelite TV, we can get 357 channels.
    Last edited by PROESL; 27-Sep-2009 at 07:16.

From a functionalist perspective
    > "Structural functionalism" is a philosophy of sociology which examines social events
    from a particular point of view
    Structural functionalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    According to one point of view,

it can be argued that
    maybe

the adaptation of the family to the requirements of the economic system
    the "family" has adapted to the economic system in a way that

has placed a strain on the marital relationship.
    is hard on marriage.

It has led to the relative isolation of the nuclear family from the wider kinship network.
    The parents and kids don't hang out with their relatives much.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    And now with satelite TV, we can get 357 channels.
    And all of them stink!!

I don't know many people who watch TV, but one of my friends does. She clicked through 300 channels and said crossly, "Tsk! There's nothing on."

It cracked me up. When there were only three channels, there was ALWAYS something on!

Actually, I was glad to see TV go the way of printed information: There is so much information in print that it has canceled itself out and become meaningless. It's too bad that it ever happened to print, but as long as that was the case, it was even worse that it was TV which controlled the nation's data input, point of view, attitude, etc.

If print has so overwhelmed our capacity to manage it (unavoidably becoming meaningless), then the best we can hope for is that TV become meaningless too.

My friend was absolutely correct: There IS nothing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    And all of them stink!!

I don't know many people who watch TV, but one of my friends does. She clicked through 300 channels and said crossly, "Tsk! There's nothing on."

It cracked me up. When there were only three channels, there was ALWAYS something on!

Actually, I was glad to see TV go the way of printed information: There is so much information in print that it has canceled itself out and become meaningless. It's too bad that it ever happened to print, but as long as that was the case, it was even worse that it was TV which controlled the nation's data input, point of view, attitude, etc.

If print has so overwhelmed our capacity to manage it (unavoidably becoming meaningless), then the best we can hope for is that TV become meaningless too.

My friend was absolutely correct: There IS nothing on.
    I get my news from WBUR, and once in a while I read an article online. This is sometimes the result of searching for an article after hearing something about the story on the radio, which is why I read a couple articles about one of Cambridge's finest, officer Crowley.

It seems rather wasteful to print so much in the way of newspapers and magazines every day. Who has time to actually sit at a table and read a newspaper? I don't. There are books that I want to read. I'll never read all that I would like to, I'm sure. Magazines seem to be a more sensible approach to printing the news.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    I get my news from WBUR, and once in a while I read an article online. This is sometimes the result of searching for an article after hearing something about the story on the radio, which is why I read a couple articles about one of Cambridge's finest, officer Crowley.

It seems rather wasteful to print so much in the way of newspapers and magazines every day. Who has time to actually sit at a table and read a newspaper? I don't. There are books that I want to read. I'll never read all that I would like to, I'm sure. Magazines seem to be a more sensible approach to printing the news.
    I was in the school library when I saw a student look up at all the book stacks towering over him, as far as the eye could see. He heaved a great big sigh. It made me see things from a different point of view. There must have been a time in human history when a library's worth of books was an exciting opportunity and a feasible project for a lifetime. Now a book stack is just nothing -- a wall, not a door.

I read one time that the CIA spends hours pouring over newspapers from China, trying to read between the lines. Evidently, even blank space is fraught with significance -- who is and who is not present in this photo, who is standing near the leader and who is far away -- this is all highly charged with political meaning.

At the same time I realized that in the US, every single day, just in the Globe (not to mention every other newspaper in the world), there are editorials, op ed pieces, opinion columns, and letters to the editor all making extremely sound suggestions on ways to solve social problems. Yet not one single idea will be acted on, not one single recommendation taken up. Indeed, not one single word will even be remembered six hours later.

The difference is that when nothing is permitted, then the teesiest things become loaded with significance; but when everything is permitted, it all means nothing. It is just swept away in the flood of the next day's huge output of more of the same.

It's interesting to me that you get your news from radio. I get the Onion on my Google home page, and I have to laugh when I hear that most people get their news from the Daily Show or Jay Leno.

I get mine from the Onion.

I find it of some interest that a number of books that I've decided to read have been a direct result of information I found out about online. Other books of interest have been an indirect result of online searches.The Internet can bring things to one's attention that newspapers never would. I consider, as well, that articles on the Internet written by linguists, scholars, and other ESL-EFL teachers have contributed to my knowledge. The Internet is far more useful than any newspaper could ever be. A newspaper, to me, is like a supermarket: I will only use one third, at the most, to shop for all the food I buy. It's likely less than a third. If I bought a newspaper, I might only read four articles. Much of the newspaper is trash as soon as it's printed. It sometimes seems that printed media has about as much to offer the world as McDo, BK, and C-Cola have to offer the world of nutrition. Newspapers are very inefficient. They do report local news, but wouldn't a weekly magazine of counties or regions be more efficient? And it would be more likely that people would save such publications for a longer time. People might not be so quick to forget certain important stories that would otherwise be quickly forgotten. The news that breaks daily, and that is local, could be handled by city and town Internet sites. Print the stories that are most interesting in order to avoid any conflict that could result from having to share a single computer.