• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

the

Traditionally the Member States of the European Union have hosted a significantly large percentage of world sports events: for example, 54% of Summer Olympics between 1896-1996 and 50% of football world cups between 1930 and 1998.

I read the above sentence in a working paper of the European Commission, and I think there should be a "the" before "Summer Olympics" and "football world cups." One usually refers to "the Summer Olympics" and "the football world cups." Does anyone agree with me?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: the

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post

Traditionally the Member States of the European Union have hosted a significantly large percentage of world sports events: for example, 54% of Summer Olympics between 1896-1996 and 50% of football world cups between 1930 and 1998.

I read the above sentence in a working paper of the European Commission, and I think there should be a "the" before "Summer Olympics" and "football world cups." One usually refers to "the Summer Olympics" and "the football world cups." Does anyone agree with me?

Thanks.
    In my opinion "the" is not necessary.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: the

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In my opinion "the" is not necessary.
    Each specific instance of a Summer Olympics would be referred to as the Summer Olympics.

'Don't eat more than two cakes per day' [General dietary advice]
    'Don't eat more than two of the cakes on this table' [A specific prohibition, referring to a particular lot of cakes.]

b