Quick Comma Question

I have a question regarding commas.
    I want this sentence to say:
    "Bob's style of writing in this work is extremely effective, and contains many techniques that help the reader to better understand the work."

Did I use the comma correctly (after effective)? Or should there not be a comma at all?

Re: Quick Comma Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ball_Til_Ya_Fall View Post
    I have a question regarding commas.
    I want this sentence to say:
    "Bob's style of writing in this work is extremely effective, and contains many techniques that help the reader to better understand the work."

Did I use the comma correctly (after effective)? Or should there not be a comma at all?

The comma is not necessary here, and it would not be my choice to use it. Here's why.

We understand that the second clause uses the same subject as the first clause. Therefore, we don't need to use a subject again. You have opted to leave out the subject in the second clause, and that's fine. However, if you leave out the subject in the second clause, then a comma is not necessary. If you use a subject in the second clause, then this becomes a traditional compound sentence, and you should use a comma.

"Bob's style of writing in this work is extremely effective and contains many techniques that help the reader to better understand the work."

"Bob's style of writing in this work is extremely effective, and it contains many techniques that help the reader to better understand the work."

The pronoun "it" refers to "Bob's style of writing". The pronoun "it" is, of course, the subject in the second clause. Using "it" in order to refer directly to the subject in the first clause, "Bob's style of writing", requires the comma after "effective", which is the last word of the first clause.