1. Unregistered

Unhappy Is the transational word proper?

I am a English teacher in Taiwan. The following are some questions I design, but some of my colleagues responds that Q28 is ambiguous. And some say that cannot quitely understand what I write. I am not a native speaker, so it's a little bit hard for me to catch the ambiguity in my wiriting. Therefore, I need your help about the whole text and the questions.

What’s your major concern in job hunting? Is salary handsome? Is casual wear permissible? Now, take this into account – if the job is germy. And if you happen to very care about it, then skip the following five jobs – teachers, accountants, bankers, Radio DJs, doctors – teachers, accountants, bankers, Radio DJs, doctors, in order from most to 27 germy .
    What do these professionals have in common? What they come into contact with – assignments or instruments, banknotes or patients – are germy. 28 you know the truth, though, it matters 29 if to be germy or not. The average toilet is 30 your desk. The average desktop 31 more than 10 million germs . The phone, keyboard, light switches, buttons on the elevator and door handles – each of these things is loaded with countless microbes.
    So, forget about germs, and instead, list some others.

27. (A) lest (B) latest (C) last (D) least
    28. (A) Seeing that (B) Considering that (C) Once (D) In case
    29. (A) none (B) little (C) much (D) few
    30. (A) 400 times as clean as (B) cleaner 400 times than
    (C) the 400 times clarity of (D) as 400 times clean as
    31. (A) harbors (B) exhibits (C) immigrates (D) settles in
    key: DCBAA

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is the transational word proper?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am a English teacher in Taiwan. The following are some questions I design, but some of my colleagues responds that Q28 is ambiguous. And some say that cannot quitely understand what I write. I am not a native speaker, so it's a little bit hard for me to catch the ambiguity in my wiriting. Therefore, I need your help about the whole text and the questions.

What’s your major concern in job hunting? Is the salary handsome? Is casual wear permissible? Now, take this into account – if the job is germy. And if you happen to care very much about it, then skip the following five jobs – teachers, accountants, bankers, radio DJs, and doctors –[ teachers, accountants, bankers, Radio DJs, doctors,why is this repeated?] in order from most to 27 germy .
    What do these professionals have in common? What they come into contact with – assignments or instruments, banknotes or patients – are germy. 28 you know the truth, though, it matters 29 if to be germy or not this says that it matters little if the truth is germy or not]. The average toilet is 30 your desk. The average desktop 31 more than 10 million germs . The phones, keyboards, light switches, elevator buttons and door handles – each of these things is loaded with countless microbes.
    So, forget about germs, and instead, list some others. Some other what? Jobs? Concerns?

27. (A) lest (B) latest (C) last (D) least
    28. (A) Seeing that (B) Considering that (C) Once (D) In case
    29. (A) none (B) little (C) much (D) few
    30. (A) 400 times as clean as (B) cleaner 400 times than
    (C) the 400 times clarity of (D) as 400 times clean as
    31. (A) harbors (B) exhibits (C) immigrates (D) settles in
    key: DCBAA
    I hope this is helpful,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Hi,
    So you mean the conjuction "once you know the truth, though, it matters little if the job is germy or not." is a correct answer, as long as I change the words, if to be germy or not, into if the job is germy or not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDick View Post
    Hi,
    So you mean the conjuction "once you know the truth, though, it matters little if the job is germy or not." is a correct answer, as long as I change the words, if to be germy or not, into if the job is germy or not.
    Once you know the truth, though, it matters little if the job is a germy one or not.

'Germy' is an unusual word. I rather like it, because it's informal, easily understood and carries a sense, not only of the health risk, but also of the squeamish feeling one might get thinking of all those microbes. Other ways to express the same idea could be: Now take this into account: does the job pose health risks? or: In your chosen job, will you routinely be exposed to germs?

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Once you know the truth, though, it matters little if the job is a germy one or not.

'Germy' is an unusual word. I rather like it, because it's informal, easily understood and carries a sense, not only of the health risk, but also of the squeamish feeling one might get thinking of all those microbes. Other ways to express the same idea could be: Now take this into account: does the job pose health risks? or: In your chosen job, will you routinely be exposed to germs?

Petra
    I'm a bit confused. Isn't "whether the job is germy or not" more concise than "whether the job is a germy one or not?"
    I think for a while, but still cannot get it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm a bit confused. Isn't "whether the job is germy or not" more concise than "whether the job is a germy one or not?"
    I think for a while, but still cannot get it.
    Dear JohnDick:

Yes, it is more concise. It would be fine. I chose to say 'a germy one or not' because the passage begins by discussing a variety of jobs. I thought 'a germy one' might emphasize this. Either phrase would be fine.
    Thank you for bringing up this confusion.

Best wishes,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Dear JohnDick:

Yes, it is more concise. It would be fine. I chose to say 'a germy one or not' because the passage begins by discussing a variety of jobs. I thought 'a germy one' might emphasize this. Either phrase would be fine.
    Thank you for bringing up this confusion.

Best wishes,

Petra
    I see, so writing has its purpose. Here "a germy one" is to serve as a kind of emphasis.
    In addition, my colleague mentioned that at the begining of my writing, since I started with What.., the following description should be followed by Nouns. Therefore, "Is the salary handsome?" should be replaced "by Handsome salary?" "Is casual wear permissible?" by "Uniform code?" something like that. How will you think? But I doubt if the English language is so rigid?
    Every time I write, I feel a lot of pressure.
    Last edited by JohnDick; 02-Oct-2009 at 10:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I see, so writing has its purpose. Here "a germy one" is to serve as a kind of emphasis.
    In addition, my colleague mentioned that at the beginning of my writing, since I started with What.., the following description should be followed by Nouns. Therefore, "Is the salary handsome?" should be replaced "by Handsome salary?" (or: Is there a handsome salary? "Is casual wear permissible?" by "Uniform code?" Is there a strict dress code? something like that. How will you think? I think your friend has a point. But I doubt if the English language is so rigid? I agree with you!
    Every time I write, I feel a lot of pressure. Writing well, even in one's first language, is, in my opinion, one of the very hardest things a person can attempt. Please continue to submit your work to the forums. You will receive a variety of responses, and this may help you to find your own voice in English. I admire you!
    All best wishes,

Petra