• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

this/that/these/those

I am trying to teach my students how to use this/ that/ these/ those. I would give them the exerciese: What's ....... in English accompanied by apprioprate picture and
    they write "it" instead of that or "they" instead for those. How would you explain to them the difference ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: this/that/these/those

Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    I am trying to teach my students how to use this/ that/ these/ those. I would give them the exerciese: What's ....... in English accompanied by apprioprate picture and
    they write "it" instead of that or "they" instead for those. How would you explain to them the difference ?
    If you are teaching to students at very elementary level, use of This/that/these/those should be the starting point. As these are used as domostraive pronouns as well as possessive adjctives, please begin with demostrative pronoun. As the name signifies, they must be taught by practical demonstration to explain the difference, both in meaning as well as use. Start with objects in the class room and ask questions to the students by rotation to identify the objects away from you and those near to you such as a picture(What is that?) on the wall or a book(What is this?)on the table. This should continue with different objects (Wall Clock, window, door screen, pen-stand, pen, glass of water etc)till each and every student takes part the process. For further reference go to this lesson:Absolute Beginner English This and That - Classroom Objects

After identification of as many objects as possible is over, it is now time to switch over to the next lesson, to find out the location of each object using the pronoun 'it'. So you have to now start with the question: Where is the wall clock? The students will be told to answer; It is on the wall. Emphasise why 'it' is used. Rotate the question with other objects to be answered by students one after another. This will help to students tu understand the appropriate use of 'this' and 'it'
    Last edited by sarat_106; 01-Oct-2009 at 12:27.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: this/that/these/those

Thanks for answering. I have done that at presentation stage and they practised quite a lot the way you described. Still, they make the mistake of confusing it/they with demonstratives. I don't know what else to do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: this/that/these/those

Quote Originally Posted by magdalena View Post
    Thanks for answering. I have done that at presentation stage and they practised quite a lot the way you described. Still, they make the mistake of confusing it/they with demonstratives. I don't know what else to do.
    Conceptual distinction between it(personal) and this (non personal).
    I think you need to explain the difference in use of ‘it’ which is a personal pronoun and ‘this’ a demonstrative pronoun. To do this, please draw a table of personal pronouns indicating the different forms as:
    Nominative Objective Possessive
    I------------- me------- my
    you ----------you------ your, yours
    he -----------him------- his
    she ----------her------- her. hers
    it ------------it--------- its
    we ----------us-------- our, ours
    they-------- them------ their, their

Then give examples of their uses and next, come to use demonstratives as subjects by citing some examples as follows.

When used as subjects, the demonstratives, in either singular or plural form, can be used to refer to objects as well as persons.
    1. This is my father.
    2. These sitting with me are my friends
    3. That is my book.
    4. Those standing at the entrance are students
    When you ask a question like: Will you talk to these/those? This is wrong. You have to use either personal pronoun or possessive adjective. Will you talk to them? or Will you talk to my friends?
    In other roles, however, the reference of demonstratives is primarily non-personal.
    Please try this and see the results.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 05-Oct-2009 at 07:39.