Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 19
    #1

    Please help me with this infinitive

    1. I want them to give me respect.

    2. I want to give them respect.

    What is the role of infinitive in sentence 1 and 2 ? Means, Is it object of the verb or other sentence element?
    What parts of speech is infinitive in sentence 1 and 2 ? Means, Is it acting like noun or adjective or adverb?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #2

    Re: Please help me with this infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by sandyy View Post
    1. I want them to give me respect.

    2. I want to give them respect.

    What is the role of infinitive in sentence 1 and 2 ? Means, Is it object of the verb or other sentence element?
    What parts of speech is infinitive in sentence 1 and 2 ? Means, Is it acting like noun or adjective or adverb?
    Hello I am not a teacher,

    but I believe the word 'them' is a pronoun, after you must find if it is a direct object or an indirect object. Naturally, I am not going to tell you the answer, but what I can say you it's probably one of them , I'm joking.

    Have a nice day.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #3

    Re: Please help me with this infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by sandyy View Post
    1. I want them to give me respect.

    2. I want to give them respect.

    What is the role of infinitive in sentence 1 and 2 ? Means, Is it object of the verb or other sentence element?
    What parts of speech is infinitive in sentence 1 and 2 ? Means, Is it acting like noun or adjective or adverb?
    In #1, the infinitive serves as complement to object pronoun 'them'. It is purely verbal in force.

    In #2, it functions nominally as object of 'want'.

    Traditionally, both infinitives would simply be classified as 'dependent'.


    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 19
    #4

    Re: Please help me with this infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    In #1, the infinitive serves as complement to object pronoun 'them'. It is purely verbal in force.

    In #2, it functions nominally as object of 'want'.

    Traditionally, both infinitives would simply be classified as 'dependent'.

    Hi philo2009, Thanks for your reply.
    It means, in #1 is infinitive acting as adjective and in #2 is infinitive acting as noun?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #5

    Re: Please help me with this infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by sandyy View Post
    Hi philo2009, Thanks for your reply.
    It means, in #1 is infinitive acting as adjective and in #2 is infinitive acting as noun?
    1. No, as stated, it is purely verbal: there is nothing remotely adjectival about its use here.

    2. Essentially, yes.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Perfect Continuous Infinitive
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2009, 18:36
  2. [General] to fail + Infinitive / not fail + Infinitive
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2009, 19:25
  3. infinitive or bare infinitive?
    By miniwave in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2006, 11:08
  4. about 'to + infinitive'
    By sariputra in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-May-2005, 09:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •