• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

• Post Thanks / Like

the vs those

Are both "the" and "those" correct in the sentence below?

It follows that the rules which govern that activity must satisfy the requirements of those provisions, which, in particular, seek to ensure freedom of movement for workers, freedom of establishment, freedom to provide services, or competition. Even if those rules do not constitute restrictions on the freedom of movement because they concern questions of purely sporting interest and, as such, have nothing to do with economic activity, that fact means neither that the sporting activity in question necessarily falls outside the scope of Articles 81 and 82 EC nor that the/those rules do not satisfy the specific requirements of those articles.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: the vs those

"The" is general, whereas "those" refers back to the specific rules in context.

In this case, "the" would probably be all right, as the write was very specific in the first sentence, "...the rules which govern that activity " (although I would argue that the "which" should be a "that" to avoid any ambiquity at all).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: the vs those

I didn't pen the sentence I posted. The original sentence had "the" instead of "those," but to me "those" sounded better.