in vs at

My respected teachers

(It's me 'twilit'.I had to change my username for some reasons.)

(1)
    "She asked me whether I loved her or not.I said in reply that I don't want to tell you OR I didn't want to tell you." Which one is correct?

(2)
    I'm in school now.
    I was at school when you phoned me this morning.
    I'm in a meeting now.
    I was in meeting when you phoned me this morning.
    I'm in a party now.
    I was in a pary when you phoned me this mornign.
    If we are present.We have to use ''in'' and if not then ''at'', right?

Thank you!

Re: in vs at

Quote Originally Posted by untaught View Post
    My respected teachers

(It's me 'twilit'.I had to change my username for some reasons.)

(1)
    "She asked me whether I loved her or not.I said in reply that I don't want to tell you OR I didn't want to tell you." Which one is correct?

(2)
    I'm in school now.
    I was at school when you phoned me this morning.
    I'm in a meeting now.
    I was in meeting when you phoned me this morning.
    I'm in a party now.
    I was in a pary when you phoned me this mornign.
    If we are present.We have to use ''in'' and if not then ''at'', right?

Thank you!
    I am not a teacher, but I work in my native language of English.

You can not generalize between "in" and "at." It is a matter of current practice, and I don't know how to impart the experience needed to decide. There are no rules that I know of.

To be "in" school can mean either that you are physically in the school, or that you are enrolled in courses AT a school.

To be "at" school means that you are physically at the school right now, or were at the school when your answer says.

You are always "in" a meeting, never "at" a meeting. However, you can be "at" a convention or a conference. You can be "in" a conference, but you can never be "in" a convention. It's confusing.

You are always "at" a party, never "in" a party.

Your last sentence is not always true - it depends on the circumstances and the context, and current practice in English. I do not think there is a rule of any kind.

Re: in vs at

Quote Originally Posted by cclaff View Post
    I am not a teacher, but I work in my native language of English.

You can not generalize between "in" and "at." It is a matter of current practice, and I don't know how to impart the experience needed to decide. There are no rules that I know of.

To be "in" school can mean either that you are physically in the school, or that you are enrolled in courses AT a school.

To be "at" school means that you are physically at the school right now, or were at the school when your answer says.

You are always "in" a meeting, never "at" a meeting. However, you can be "at" a convention or a conference. You can be "in" a conference, but you can never be "in" a convention. It's confusing.

You are always "at" a party, never "in" a party.

Your last sentence is not always true - it depends on the circumstances and the context, and current practice in English. I do not think there is a rule of any kind.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...105748-vs.html