Class dilemma need an answer

I had a student today in class who seems be finding it hard to concentrate after class he came to me again as he wanted to tell you all his problems. This has happened more than once now and his work is suffering somewhat. He wanted to talk about how he had had a bad day at work and then home I am always here to help but I知 starting to feel more like a counselor. What solutions can I use to deal with this?

Re: Class dilemma need an answer

...but I知 starting to feel more like a counselor.

Then stop being a counselor.
    I don't mean to sound harsh or insensitive, but this is likely to continue as long as you allow it to continue. If you wish it to stop, then stop it. Take control of the situation. And don't give me any nonsense about how it's not that simple. It is that simple.

Look, I don't know you; I don't know the student; I don't know the situation. But I do know one thing: a student's personal problems are not the teacher's problems. And if that teacher is getting a bit tired of listening to them (which is what I am sensing here), then that teacher has to learn to disengage without feeling some self-imposed obligation to be that student's therapist/buddy/mother/whatever.

Yes, care about your students. Yes, care about the quality of their work. Yes, be supportive and understanding. Unfortunately, however, sometimes the more you listen葉he more you empathize葉he more certain students will take advantage of you. When you pick up on the fact that a student is trying to take advantage of you or trying to use you as their crying towel, you may have to draw the line預nd then guard it with all your might. If you don't, you're liable to get dumped on until you do.

Greg

P.S. I'll probably get hammered for this, but I don't care.
    Been there (ain't goin' back); done that (ain't doin' it again).

well im not sure what your on or what side of the bed you fell our of Simon Cowel.... sorry i mean Greg but this is an exercise question i must deal with. not an actually case.

tony

...this is an exercise question i must deal with. not an actually case.
    So it's not an actual case? Well, that's a load off. Then good luck with your...thing, or whatever.

Greg

P.S. The reference to Simon Cowell...I'll take that as a compliment. After all, no matter how much you hate him, he's usually the only one who knows what he's talking about.