• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

Smile ask for help

dear sir in theses sentences
    1)The entire server farm can be identified as its own switch block and given a layer of
    access switches uplinked to dual distribution switches (multilayer).
    i don't understand the meaning of given (is it a noun or adj)
    The entire process of forwarding Ethernet frames then becomes figuring out what MAC addresses
    connect to which switch ports
    i don't understand why after become the verb figure is in ing form
    The switch port then can be fine-tuned so that important frames get processed and forwarded
    before less important frames.
    As the ingress queues are serviced and a frame is pulled off
    i don't undesrtand the meaning of pulled off
    Routing, switching, ACL, and QoS tables are stored in a high-speed table memory so that forwarding decisions
    Each packet is pulled off an ingress queue and inspected for both Layer 2 and Layer 3 destination
    addresses
    here i don't understand why there is ing form in routing switching and forwarding
    thank you a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: ask for help

Dear adel:

Even though this kind of technical language makes me dizzy, I will try to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by adel87 View Post
    dear sir in theses sentences
    1)The entire server farm can be identified as its own switch block and given a layer of
    access switches uplinked to dual distribution switches (multilayer).
    i don't understand the meaning of given (is it a noun or adj)
    First, the server farm is identified, and, second someone gives it a layer of access switches. ['Is given' is in the passive voice.]
    The entire process of forwarding Ethernet frames then becomes figuring out what MAC addresses
    connect to which switch ports
    i don't understand why after become the verb figure is in ing form
    It doesn't have to be in that form. The writer could have written: The entire process ...is then to figure out what...' However, since a process is being described, the writer, wanting to give the idea of the ongoing nature of the job, used 'figuring. We don't just figure it out and move on, we continue figuring it out.
    The switch port then can be fine-tuned so that important frames get processed and forwarded
    before less important frames.
    As the ingress queues are serviced and a frame is pulled off
    i don't undesrtand the meaning of pulled off
    'Pulled off' often means 'removed.' Does that work here?
    Routing, switching, ACL, and QoS tables are stored in a high-speed table memory so that forwarding decisions
    Each packet is pulled off an ingress queue and inspected for both Layer 2 and Layer 3 destination
    addresses
    here i don't understand why there is ing form in routing switching and forwarding
    Again, I believe it is because these tables describe ongoing processes. It's not a table of the route or the switch, but a table of the processes of routing and switching.
    thank you a lot
    I hope this is helpful. It was certainly worth it to me just to encounter the phrase, 'server farm.' Of course, I am imagining little server cows grazing in a little server pasture.
    Sorry.
    It's late

Petra