• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

rattled?

The children who were doing their homework suddenly saw a snake with a hood; then, they were.....(rattled, panicked) How do you describe the mental condition of the children.

In similar case like that is:
    The burglars who were packing the stolen goods suddenly saw the home owner standing before them. How do you describe the mental condition of the burglars.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: rattled?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Appalayya View Post
    The children who were doing their homework suddenly saw a snake with a hood; then, they were.....(rattled, panicked) How do you describe the mental condition of the children.

The burglars who were packing the stolen goods suddenly saw the home owner standing before them. How do you describe the mental condition of the burglars.
    Dear Dr. Appalayya:

I think the children would be more likely to panic. 'Rattled' is used when something happens that causes one to lose one's composure, but it is less dramatic than 'panicked':
    As I was speaking, the projector lost power and I was forced to go on without the visual component of my presentation. Needless to say, I was a bit rattled at first, but I got through it.'
    As for the burglars, they may have been 'speechless', and/or 'stunned.' They may have begun to 'tremble in fear' or they may have regained their presence of mind quickly and fled through a window.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Appalayya View Post

Probably "Scared out of their wits".

The burglars are more likely to be rattled.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

A snake with a hood is a cobra; petrified is the word I'd suggest.