Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 447
    #1

    tense and sentence construction

    Here is a case: A person scored 780 on GMAT last year. He will apply using that score next year.

    Now, I construct the following sentence:

    If that person applies next year, it will be two years from the time that he has given GMAT/ since he has given GMAT/ since the time that he has given gmat/ since the time he gave gmat.

    Could you please help me in identifying the correct pick among the choices? if all are incorrect, please help me by letting me know a few possible constructions.

    Thanks,
    Kiran

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: tense and sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Here is a case: A person scored 780 on GMAT last year. He will apply using that score next year.

    Now, I construct the following sentence:

    If that person applies next year, it will be two years from the time that he has given GMAT/ since he has given GMAT/ since the time that he has given gmat/ since the time he gave gmat.

    Could you please help me in identifying the correct pick among the choices? if all are incorrect, please help me by letting me know a few possible constructions.

    Thanks,
    Kiran
    "It will be two years since he took GMAT."

  2. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #3

    Re: tense and sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Here is a case: A person scored 780 on GMAT last year. He will apply using that score next year.

    Now, I construct the following sentence:

    If that person applies next year, it will be two years from the time that he has given GMAT/ since he has given GMAT/ since the time that he has given gmat/ since the time he gave gmat.

    Could you please help me in identifying the correct pick among the choices? if all are incorrect, please help me by letting me know a few possible constructions.

    Thanks,
    Kiran
    According to me from the above mentioned options, the last option seems appropriate...

    If that person applies next year, it will be two years since the time he gave gmat.

    Note: Although as a student you take exam and as a teacher you give exam...
    Last edited by anupumh; 06-Oct-2009 at 19:38.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: tense and sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    According to me the last option seems appropriate...

    If that person applies next year, it will be two years since the time he gave gmat.
    He didn't "give" GMAT, he "took" GMAT. A teacher or institution gives an exam, a student takes it.

  4. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #5

    Re: tense and sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    He didn't "give" GMAT, he "took" GMAT. A teacher or institution gives an exam, a student takes it.
    I only picked the available option, though I agree with "give for teacher and take for student"...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 447
    #6

    Re: tense and sentence construction

    since he took gmat? how about since the time he took gmat? which is correct?

    thank you.

  5. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #7

    Re: tense and sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    since he took gmat? how about since the time he took gmat? which is correct?

    thank you.
    I dont see anything wrong with that..

Similar Threads

  1. Passive Tense Sentence Question
    By colloquium in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2008, 10:04
  2. Past perfect tense usage - lack of clarity
    By venkatasu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-May-2008, 11:29
  3. What is the TENSE of this sentence?
    By # 1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2007, 14:15
  4. Verb tense in this sentence
    By chichiu57 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-May-2007, 03:09
  5. If a sentence had a past tense
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2004, 15:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •