Career advice if available please??

Here I find myself at a support-staff position ($15hr) @ 32 hrs..in the most sought after and highest paying school district in the state of MT. The only problem is I and about 3 other support staff work next to u.s. certified high school teachers in their discipline who obviously are on a whole other pay scale/contract ($25+hr) and we (support staff) are basically in a dead-end job. One guy in his 50's has been on the support staff for 9 yrs? and his sour attitude shows?? People come and go in the position from year to year.

Anyways the barrier to entry as a u.s. teacher is pretty high....
    1) You can't apply for a one-time temporary 3yr teaching license unless your enrolled in a graduate program.. and are teaching at some capacity.
    2) Then ..thanks to Bush.. the "no child left behind" act requires that you can only teach what your undergraduate degree is in after you get your masters.. mine is business finance?? and those curriculums are extremly rare and the first to get cut due to budget contraints.

So.. my only US option is to really get a graduate degree in Counseling...which I like...but will never enable me to teach.

With a B.S. and a Celta do I take a 2k a month job teaching english in place like Saudia Arabia..and then enroll and complete an online masters in tefla? or enroll in US grad school (M.ed or counseling) and become a couselor or scan all 50 states and see who hire a business teacher??

Input would be awesome! :) .....I leaning towards getting out of the Ol'USA!!!

Thanks Guys,

DM

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Career advice if available please??

If it's counselling that you like, the job in Saudi Arabia and the MA would just lead you away from that, though it might present a short-term solution. I don't know how old you are, but after a few years teaching abroad, it is often difficult to go back home, especially if you want a change of career.

Btw, check any online MA out; degree mills abound.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If it's counselling that you like, the job in Saudi Arabia and the MA would just lead you away from that, though it might present a short-term solution. I don't know how old you are, but after a few years teaching abroad, it is often difficult to go back home, especially if you want a change of career.

Btw, check any online MA out; degree mills abound.

I appreciate the your opinion on teaching abroad! Since I am a college graduate in the worst recession the US has ever seen...it has really opened my eyes to what kind of money people make and that NO job is safe.

For example(s)- a truck driver hauling crude oil in N.Dakota makes $115,000 usd a year??

A basic labor position with for any local power or energy company makes about $20-$25 usd an hour.

So again I really appreciate the advice... however since I'm a guy that can easily be trained to do various types of well paying jobs..I do not see that teaching overseas as a detriment to any future U.S. employment opportunities. I would actually think that international experience would be a huge plus on your resume??

Also, once you obtain a 2yr (online) graduate degree.. teaching salaries in the middle east (as well as other countries) start at $3,500-$6,500 usd a month tax free. With vacations payed..etc...etc.

Again, I would like to know what you think obout my opinion?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It depends on the kind of experience; working in, say, an international school abroad would be good on a resume if you were applying for a teaching position. However, there are places where this would not be the case and, as I said before, age is a factor when thinking about returning home. If you're young enough, it won't be a problem and may well be a plus.

There are jobs in the Middle East that pay well, though I hear that things are being squeezed there too- I haven't worked there, though know people who have and do. If you plan to sit the recession in the US out by working abroad and can get a decent job, then I would say go for it, but don't stay away for too long- the pages of ESL history are splattered with tales of people going back after several years to find themselves adrift and that LP Hartley was right about the past being 'another country'.

ESL is a fragile industry in many ways and there was already something of a drive towards the bottom in terms of pay and conditions in many places, a drive which the recession is likely to worsen. There are opportunities, but these are gloomy times and while they may be talking of BAB (Bonuses Are Back) in banks, it's not the champagne season in ESL yet.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It depends on the kind of experience; working in, say, an international school abroad would be good on a resume if you were applying for a teaching position. However, there are places where this would not be the case and, as I said before, age is a factor when thinking about returning home. If you're young enough, it won't be a problem and may well be a plus.

There are jobs in the Middle East that pay well, though I hear that things are being squeezed there too- I haven't worked there, though know people who have and do. If you plan to sit the recession in the US out by working abroad and can get a decent job, then I would say go for it, but don't stay away for too long- the pages of ESL history are splattered with tales of people going back after several years to find themselves adrift and that LP Hartley was right about the past being 'another country'.

ESL is a fragile industry in many ways and there was already something of a drive towards the bottom in terms of pay and conditions in many places, a drive which the recession is likely to worsen. There are opportunities, but these are gloomy times and while they may be talking of BAB (Bonuses Are Back) in banks, it's not the champagne season in ESL yet.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Hong Kong is the highest paid jurisdiction in the world for teachers. Saudi Arabia you won't like, unless you like fenced compounds.